The Old Folks Home

micro -- I hear you and feel your pain. Last year a freak late hard frost decimated our fruit crop. Totally wiped out everything. This year -- after a year off from production -- the orchard's trees are blanketed in copious blossoms. Thought we were going to have snow on Saturday night, but was very thankful it was just cold rain. Tomorrow onward is 70-degree weather. I love going outside and hearing the bees working.

The plus side of last years nada fruit crop: Spent zero time canning and this year don't really have to spray for coddling moth as there was nothing for them to repopulate on.

Our local farmstand was having a tomato start sale last week, but they won't go into the ground until after Tuesday as we've had some chilly weekend nights.

- - -

On a sad note, we helped our beloved greyhound Norman cross over to the Rainbow Bridge late last week. Osteosarcoma. Even with meds, pain and mobility was an issue that wasn't abating and then something happened that caused his other front leg paw to balloon. Rather than have a total tragedy of pain/suffering/fracture, we faced that hard call and had the mobile vet come in and he passed in his slumberball surrounded by his family and canine companions. Been kind of a wreck since then. He was so in-sync to me, almost psychically so. I loved him enough to let him go, but -- dang -- I sure do miss him and wish he were here. (Truth be told, I don't believe I cried near as much when my folks passed. I know one of these days I'll stop crying, but it's definitely not today.)
norman.JPG

(Norman's final portrait)

micro -- I hear you and feel your pain. Last year a freak late hard frost decimated our fruit crop. Totally wiped out everything. This year -- after a year off from production -- the orchard's trees are blanketed in copious blossoms. Thought we were going to have snow on Saturday night, but was very thankful it was just cold rain. Tomorrow onward is 70-degree weather. I love going outside and hearing the bees working.

The plus side of last years nada fruit crop: Spent zero time canning and this year don't really have to spray for coddling moth as there was nothing for them to repopulate on.

Our local farmstand was having a tomato start sale last week, but they won't go into the ground until after Tuesday as we've had some chilly weekend nights.

- - -

On a sad note, we helped our beloved greyhound Norman cross over to the Rainbow Bridge late last week. Osteosarcoma. Even with meds, pain and mobility was an issue that wasn't abating and then something happened that caused his other front leg paw to balloon. Rather than have a total tragedy of pain/suffering/fracture, we faced that hard call and had the mobile vet come in and he passed in his slumberball surrounded by his family and canine companions. Been kind of a wreck since then. He was so in-sync to me, almost psychically so. I loved him enough to let him go, but -- dang -- I sure do miss him and wish he were here. (Truth be told, I don't believe I cried near as much when my folks passed. I know one of these days I'll stop crying, but it's definitely not today.)
View attachment 2624878
(Norman's final portrait)
No words can express the sympathy I feel.. I cried for a week when my beloved Rottie had to be put to sleep. :hugs

I've been doing an internet search on this 'brush/bush' that's growing up in the second garden area. For the life of me I can't find anything.. it's not mock orange as it has little to no smell at all (I've been around them when they bloom) and it's not dogwood.
20210419_125840.jpg

Here's the 'kitchen garden'. It supposed to have herbs and onions and such... but. Maybe next year I'll get it all sorted.
20210419_125656.jpg

I planted when Mr B told me, but the corn and beans were spotty coming up, so I've just stuck more seed in to fill in the gaps. It's for the kids.. Guess they won't mind?
And last but not least the new 'garden/flower' area I started working on this year. Took a whole lotta root digging since it was previously cover in 'something'. I left a few mimosas, planted 3 maple trees I started from seeds a few years back, put all the bulb type flowers along the top, and planted a few roses in front where all the tomatoes/peppers/herbs and squash are. Eventually I won't 'garden' there and it will be just mixed flowers and trees.

20210419_125740.jpg

Oh, and I had another brainiac idea come to mind. I'm going to be moving the green house inside the free range area and converting it to a grow out pen. The frame is good, but I'm not spending more money on a cover that won't last a year or two.

A very nice thing to have around. When I finally got something bigger than my 9N it was great, and it has a front end loader.:woot
Love my '64 Case 530ck. Starts first bump of a key, has probs, tranny weak, hoses all prob need replacing, blew one into my eyes last yr, no biggie just scared the carp out of me.
I know those old 8ns are not very handy but one on my wish list, cause have you seen them with a flathead v8 in them? Wow!! I saw a 8 or 9 don't remember which couple yrs ago passed it up had a Chevy v6 in it, wasn't interested cause how, what kind of made up mess is that.. They have a couple kits for putting ford flathead v8 in them, $$$, I didn't realize there is a kit for putting a Chevy v6 in them and a lot cheaper kit, and pretty obvious motors are easier to find. One of my bucket list item's, might never happen but we can dream Lol!!

Last edited:
Poop chute cleaned out, so glad that is all it was, was scared whole system needed replacing. Snakes, small one, and 50' bigger one, no help, going from tank side no help either. Small one I had a drill attached thought it would be better than big one going other way cause powered, nope. Bigger one hand spun, my goodness I about wore myself out couldn't get it very far and twist and twist, pulled out a tiny bit of tp each time but hrs latter about ready to rent a powered one or pay someone I was hurting. Gave up thinking what was I going to do, still thinking maybe I may have a crushed pipe, idk if any of you have saw it but old house the 4" pipe is like a cross between plastic and rubber, black pipe... Decided to try (no carp) a coat hanger, just pulled out a little at a time but more than snakes.. Then I saw it moving, wow am I glad I stepped back, like six feet of solid four inch then boom a explosion!!!
We're good now and yup, pretty sure it was our emergency pandemic tp only stuff we could find at the time, didn't need it but bought it anyway, thick like a blanket stuff that DW figured we might as well use now recently. Never had that sort of prob with our septic before in 10+ yrs hope we don't again.

Poop chute cleaned out, so glad that is all it was, was scared whole system needed replacing. Snakes, small one, and 50' bigger one, no help, going from tank side no help either. Small one I had a drill attached thought it would be better than big one going other way cause powered, nope. Bigger one hand spun, my goodness I about wore myself out couldn't get it very far and twist and twist, pulled out a tiny bit of tp each time but hrs latter about ready to rent a powered one or pay someone I was hurting. Gave up thinking what was I going to do, still thinking maybe I may have a crushed pipe, idk if any of you have saw it but old house the 4" pipe is like a cross between plastic and rubber, black pipe... Decided to try (no carp) a coat hanger, just pulled out a little at a time but more than snakes.. Then I saw it moving, wow am I glad I stepped back, like six feet of solid four inch then boom a explosion!!!
We're good now and yup, pretty sure it was our emergency pandemic tp only stuff we could find at the time, didn't need it but bought it anyway, thick like a blanket stuff that DW figured we might as well use now recently. Never had that sort of prob with our septic before in 10+ yrs hope we don't again.
Sure glad you got that straightened out! 💩:lau

Sure glad you got that straightened out! 💩:lau
It's been awhile actually since Easter I've been playing in 💩. First with a backup not sure why I went into our basement, but OMG!!, leaking bad, and we hosting Easter, guess what no one aloud to use toilet, luckily Home Depot open ran many miles there for fix. Didn't help, just bought some sealer stuff for the leak. Had to cut out whole section and replace, (one big elbow section of cast iron (hundred +yr old house) was actually sealed with lead...) so thinking good, nope.

Then oldest DD that just moved back with us on and off again with BF, after cooking Easter dinner for all of us tested after losing sense of smell and taste covid. Then we all on 10 day quarantine. Been a very carpy month.
Good now though. I hope.
How many of your family got sick?

And yep, time for things to turn around!

Back
Top Bottom