The Old Folks Home

@CapricornFarm, I just read about your furchild's passing. I am so terribly sorry. I know the pain you are feeling. They are in our lives such a short time but leave pawprints on our hearts forever. :hugs You did the only thing you could do, you gave him the final gift of love and released his sweet soul to run free with grace and dignity.

Good morning all.

I hate this weather!

Before:View attachment 2628045

And after. This is what we woke up to yesterday morning.

View attachment 2628049

This morning it was 25°. No hope. I got most of my flowers that were up, lilies, iris, hostas, covered with anything I could find. Cardboard boxes, sheets of plastic drop cloth, etc but the trees? A few apple trees haven't bloomed yet so we may get a few apples if the blooms have survived closed. But they are calling for 27° again tonight and then a warming trend.

Needless to say I'm pretty discouraged at this point in time. So much going on in the world and country right now, I tend to escape it all by enjoying my 'outside' hobbies of gardening and such. Looking forward to the promise of fresh fruit is one of the summer highlights. Luckily I have only a few things planted in the garden so no losses there but the whole region is suffering from this cold right now so we aren't alone.

@CSolis, congratulations on that broody. I know you have been wanting one. Happy Hatching!
Oh yuck.. so sorry about all your fruit trees.
Me thinks it was @Peep_Show that lost her beloved..
And yes.. I'm so happy. Snowflake spent most of the day on the nest.. she was still there this morning at feed time and didn't come off the nest for treats... then Muffins wanted a turn which gave Snowflake a break... of course Lady was not to be outdone so she was on the nest as soon as Muffins was off... I'll be back out shortly to see if Snowflake resumes the floofy low profile she maintained yesterday. But then.... I have more chicks to deal with.. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh...

:oops: I have never in my life mowed a lawn. Not once.

When I was a kid, that was my brother's money making job, and he didn't want me to learn how. Then I was in college. Then I was in an apartment. Then I got married. I do the dishes, the laundry, and most of the gardening. DH mows and plows the driveway. And fixes things. And builds things (like the chicken coop).
You should make sure you know how to do the things he does. You never know when someone will get hit by a bus!

(sorry for the dark humor...)

Last edited:
@CapricornFarm, I just read about your furchild's passing. I am so terribly sorry. I know the pain you are feeling. They are in our lives such a short time but leave pawprints on our hearts forever. :hugs You did the only thing you could do, you gave him the final gift of love and released his sweet soul to run free with grace and dignity.

Good morning all.

I hate this weather!

View attachment 2628049

This morning it was 25°. No hope. I got most of my flowers that were up, lilies, iris, hostas, covered with anything I could find. Cardboard boxes, sheets of plastic drop cloth, etc but the trees? A few apple trees haven't bloomed yet so we may get a few apples if the blooms have survived closed. But they are calling for 27° again tonight and then a warming trend.

Needless to say I'm pretty discouraged at this point in time. So much going on in the world and country right now, I tend to escape it all by enjoying my 'outside' hobbies of gardening and such. Looking forward to the promise of fresh fruit is one of the summer highlights. Luckily I have only a few things planted in the garden so no losses there but the whole region is suffering from this cold right now so we aren't alone.

@CSolis, congratulations on that broody. I know you have been wanting one. Happy Hatching!
I heard about the snow in Missouri from my SIL. Quite a switch!

You should make sure you know how to do the things he does. You never know when someone get hit by a bus!

(sorry for the dark humor...)
Too many times chores are divided between the pair, then one is no longer there.. The one left is lost. Learn finances, learn how to repair things, learn how to do things for yourself.

I agree @CSolis.

Years ago I lived next door to an older couple who did the complete split of household responsibilities. He handled the outside, mowing, painting, etc and she did the inside.

When the husband contracted a fatal pneumonia and died suddenly she was lost. One morning after a storm rolled through I went outside to find her aimlessly wandering around the yard picking up small branches that the storm had shook out of a large tree on their property and asked her what she was doing. She replied that her husband always cleaned up the yard after storms. She looked at me with tears in her eyes and said that she didn't know how to even do that!. I was stunned and went over to help her.

Since I didn't marry until later in life, I learned early on to be self sufficient. Dad taught me how to do simply wiring and electric work like putting in a new switch or outlet. I can do building and yard work as well as cook and do home making chores.

Now DH and I are a team, helping one another with projects and keeping ahead of the needs of our 29 acre play ground. To this day I thank my parents for teaching me all that they did. It sure makes life easier if one of us gets sick or injured.

Thanks everyone. It's kinda painful to look out and see all that snow on those peach blossoms. Isn't the first time and it won't be the last I fear.

I really feel for the folks around here who have businesses based in crops. There is a vineyard around the corner from us with acres of grape vines. I'm sure they got hit by this cold spell.

We just depend on our orchard for our own use and for sharing with the neighbors. We might just get enough for our use and that is all and that makes me sad.

Too many times chores are divided between the pair, then one is no longer there.. The one left is lost. Learn finances, learn how to repair things, learn how to do things for yourself.
Over on the Home Bakers thread, Aria is in that position now. Her DH died several months ago and She broke her hip

Soooooooooo, I finished up my chores and had to go get some more gas for the mowers. I peeked around the corner and lo and behold.. Snowflake is back on the nest. She had a nice break to eat and forage a bit.. She was constantly clucking as though she had babies following her already.
Then I also stopped by DG and picked up another tub for the batch of eggs in the incubator that are supposed to start hatching this weekend (sigh, six more weeks of dusting daily in the living room). Sunday makes 3 weeks. I split the chicks between two large tubs so they have room to grow for the first 4 - 5 weeks.
Here are my 2.5 week olds. Funny, the one little black EE keeps going over into the right tub and abandoning his sibblings (the two white/gray ones). Little chit!
20210421_115354.jpg

The two black ones on the left are Prince's sibblings. If I use 'long tails' to count pullets, out of 11 I only have 3 (Sobs!!!)
P.S. I need more coffee cans dangit.. They love to play in them and sleep in them.
howmanychicks.JPG

Good morning all.

I hate this weather!

View attachment 2628049

@microchick , I have not had any dogs or cats pass on recently. Perhaps another OF?

Good morning all.

I hate this weather!

View attachment 2628049

I know how disappointed you must be Becky. We has about 200 apples on one of the trees when we lived in TN. We came back to find them all gone, or spoiled by biting by squirrels. Deer etc. Plum trees are especially likely to have a bloom ruined by frost, we have yet to see a plum on our plum trees we planted 3 years ago. We had pears and nectarines last year, but the deer ate most of them . Our pear trees need to be moved this year, since we plan a double garage for that area.

Back
Top Bottom