The Old Folks Home

Happy Thursday everyone!

DH and I spent the last two days in the field....literally, trying to repair our big loop antenna which was damaged in the storms we had. It was fun....not. Well, not entirely not, only partially not.

Putting up a loop antenna means first planning out where you want to run the antenna wire. You have to be able to bridge areas where there aren't trees and have enough areas where you can safely shoot pull lines over trees without putting out a neighbor's cow's eye. Then we shoot fish line over the trees using our cross bow and a specially designed arrow that has the line attached to it. THEN you get to spent the next two hours trying to find the arrow and hope that it is hanging from the tree that you want it to hang from. It seldom is and finding it is never easy, especially in summer when the canopy is thick and green.

If we are lucky and find the arrow without having to pull it back out of the timber and reshoot it, we then tie a heavy duty paracord to the fish line and pull it through the trees so we can attach the antenna wire to it and then hoist it into the trees...groan. I think we called it a day at 4 pm yesterday, then DH went back out to collect all of our equipment after dinner. We slept in this morning.

The big rush here was because they are calling for severe weather here over the past 4 days or more. Heavy rain, flash flood watches, tornado risk and 80 mph wind gusts. Our luck and the danged antenna will get damaged again. Watch one of those trees get knocked down...grumble grumble.

Other than that, trying to play catch up with the housework. Big news is I finally have my article/narrative on my experiences with Marek's disease and my illos done. I need to scan the illos into the computer, figure out how to insert them into the article and then it is good to go.

Stay well, everyone. Seems as thought everything involving medical care is a challenge any more. My appointment with the new Rheumy is next Wednesday and two weeks later, DH has another MOHS surgery done on his face.

Just shows that as you get older, it's always something.
Make sure to enter the article in the contest that is starting up soon!

I have a friend who told us when we retired that people quit working when they are older so they can schedule all of their doctor's appointments.

I never had chickenpox as a child that I knew of but I did get shingles about 15 years ago. I talked to a Health Dept nurse who told me that sometimes people get 'silent' chicken pox. they feel like they get a cold. get a bump that they mistake as being a mosquito bite or no skin reactions at all until they get shingles at a later age.

My dad had a hellatious case of shingles and I know that the fluid from the rash is thick with chicken pox virus so for all I know I could have gotten it then and never knew it.

DH had the first vaccine but refused the second. The first made him sicker than a dog for three days. Flu like symptoms, swollen tender arm. He also had a bad reaction to a flu shot. Me? I reacted badly to a Prevnar vaccine for pneumonia. Not just oh my arm is a bit sore sort of reaction but my arm swelled to huge proportions, I was dizzy and flat on my back sick for three days. Don't even remember much of it other than trying to get to the bathroom and having to hang on to the wall and pray that I didn't fall.

They keep using the word 'rare' with side effects. But there was a saying that was passed onto my husband when he started practice. "It isn't rare if it's in your chair'.

So basically, it's rare unless it happens to you.

See now I had bad reaction to a flu shot. Prayed to ralph for 24 hours .. Shingrix really sore arm for a couple days next one sore for half an hour then gone .. worried me with Covid shot but nothing either time .. BF said he was tired for a day with second
I seldom have reactions to vaccines which is what surprised me about the Prevnar. Oh, sore arm, a bit of the crappy feeling the day after but that was almost bad enough to send me to the ER. If I could have walked to the car...which I couldn't.

I hope so because there is no reason to get a shingles shot if you never had chicken pox
True.... duh...

I was just wondering why some people get a way bigger response to that shingrix than others.

When I took the shot I felt whacked over the head

Back
Top Bottom