The Old Folks Home

My homestead tomatoes are doing fantastic. At least the three that are planted in my raised beds. One in a big planter got wilt. It was full of tomatoes that didn't progress past ping pong ball sized. I pulled it up and gave it to the chickens. They loved it. Another in a planter is doing better but the three in one of my raised beds are thriving. What is amazing about them is that I also planted Ivan's which are a heirloom tomato that is supposed to thrive in Missouri's unpredictable weather. Somebody forgot to tell my seeds that. It's like, cripes.

At least the Homesteads are going to give me enough tomatoes for the freezer. I have a grocery order started at HyVee and bacon is on the list along with a head of iceberg lettuce. We WILL have BLTs and corn on the cob. Got that on the list too. Gave up trying to grow corn thanks to the raccoons.

I love gardening but it's frustrating when you are fighting the weather and it's hard to just keep the weeds down because of joint pain. It's like, how many times do I have to beat myself on the head with a hammer before I say enough/uncle?

I got ambitious and went out to pick tomatoes. Here are today's offering. The two greenies fell off accidentally so they will be fried for my dinner tonight along with sish kabobs.
IMG_2881.JPG

micro -- Guinness' racing name was Barts Irish Ale. The adoption agency had named him "Ira" (part Irish, part Ale), but every Ira I know is an accountant and, well, that's not fitting this dog's personality in any manner or form.

If one were to google his racing name, one could view videos of his races at Palm Beach Kennel Club. The races that he won he won like Secretariat. He ran 50 races with the last being 12/31/20. The really fun thing is that he and my 10 y.o. former racer are related, and my darling deceased Norman was cousin to our eldster.

micro -- Guinness' racing name was Barts Irish Ale. The adoption agency had named him "Ira" (part Irish, part Ale), but every Ira I know is an accountant and, well, that's not fitting this dog's personality in any manner or form.

If one were to google his racing name, one could view videos of his races at Palm Beach Kennel Club. The races that he won he won like Secretariat. He ran 50 races with the last being 12/31/20. The really fun thing is that he and my 10 y.o. former racer are related, and my darling deceased Norman was cousin to our eldster.
I found his racing history but I couldn't get the replay to 'play' What a neat history he has. How old is Guinness? Was he just retired?

Once upon a time I considered adopting a retired racing hound. I love greyhounds. Amazingly graceful and gentle. Life got in the way though as it often seems to do. I'm so happy that you decided to get another greyhound. He'll never be the one you lost but he will make you smile and that is what it is all about.

I still count our cattle dogs at night to make sure all noses are accounted for and still want to say 'and 5-Sidney'. But I'm to the point now where I think about her and smile instead of tears running down my cheeks. I think it's the ay she would want it. But I still miss her.

Back
Top Bottom