The Old Folks Home

That is for sure. NOTHING like what @lovesfarms DH and @microchick are going through but an example of undervaluing:
This morning DW (with her RA) said her feet were too far away so she went to the stairs, put her foot on the 2nd one up to tie her shoe. Yesterday 26 Y/O DD2 was putting on her shoe ... standing in the mudroom tying the shoe on her foot 1 step down on the porch.

:gig Nope, they are as rare as hen's teeth!!! I bet they cost a fortune.
I can relate to that, Bruce. Yesterday at the podiatrists instead of leaning over or getting off the table to grab my socks, I pinched them between two toes and then crossed my legs. Much easier on the back and saved me getting up and putting pressure on my sore feet.

It's amazing the tricks you can invent to make life less painful when you have to. I've done the 'step' trick but also use a chair.

How is the Mrs. doing with her RA?

I used to be a principal musician of a symphony orchestra, became disabled from neck surgery hardware and constant pain. I started watching homestead channels like Coghill, and KC farms, bunch of chicken things, decided chickens would force me outside in winter (it’s snowy enough you can just hole up for weeks sometimes) and I had a lovely coop and run built, waited on and changed my Murray McMurray order for about ten months, and last April 8 I became a chicken poppa! Being older and in pain can be no fun, but, since raising my babies, I really feel better. Even have two varieties of giant pumpkins going along with a mixed French style garden..this site is new for me, I’m enjoying it..
You are more than welcome to join us here at the home. Always an empty rocking chair and a glass of iced tea, cup of coffee or a cold beer to enjoy and we are never at a loss of conversation.

I got my chickens for the same reason. A) I like chickens and B) I'm retired and need motivation to drag my butt outside in the winter and get some fresh air.

They fit the bill!

Well..I played first chair for twenty five years in two orchestras, so..there’s a lot of music, although orchestras generally have about five years worth of programming they recycle over and over cause they won’t be brave. The summer stuff is worse, that’s pretty much the same every year depending on the pops acts booked. Can’t beat Mozart, Brahms, Beethoven, Richard Strauss, Schumann, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, I was the type that never minded playing the standards, I despised modern music that was super technical and sucked. I hated it when ppl would say “oh, that’s because you just don’t understand it..” to which I always replied “all I need to understand is that I don’t like it!”
If you love the sound, download or better yet get the “Red Record“ vinyl of Dennis Brain playing the four Mozart horn concertos..ppl might say there are better players now, but..they’re wrong..he made a timeless, perfect, beautiful recording…he was just..The One..

:bow I love the sound of French horn...

I played the flute in a small (small-small) college chamber orchestra for a year. It taught me to really appreciate classical music.

Who is/are your favorite composer/s? Favorite pieces?
I just replied to the wrong post..oh well..
‘I was going to say..if you like the sound, perhaps the greatest sound was made by Dennis Brain playing the four Mozart concertos..I can’t even estimate how many times I played along with his recording..the vinyl sounds even better, believe it or not..oh, and Frans Bruggen playing recorder is a total favorite, I would listen to him on long car trips..there’s a recording of him with Concentus Musicus Wien and..work brain, work!..Nikolas Harnoncourt that as a flautist you will love. I am first amazed at the recorder becoming so expressive and the early music being so ..romantic. There’s Telemann, and..others..on it. And The Harmonious Blacksmith, Trevor Pinnock, harpsichord. And The all Vivaldi album with Cecilia Bartoli, and the PBS special double cd set of Ella Fitzgerald, and all of Mario Lanza’s stuff..

Last edited:
Finally. Split the last piece of wood today. We figure that we have 12+ cords plus 1 cord of keeper rounds. I don't know how we got so much wood this year. It was there so we just kept chain sawing it up and hauling it back to the house.

As the saying goes as far as how we feel. What don't hurt, don't work.

2122wood.JPG

The bags and buckets sitting in front are filled with kindling.

It's in the high 70s here today but I can almost taste that first cup of morning coffee sitting in front of the fireplace with DH....not anxious for winter but it is a nice way to start the morning.

Finally. Split the last piece of wood today. We figure that we have 12+ cords plus 1 cord of keeper rounds. I don't know how we got so much wood this year. It was there so we just kept chain sawing it up and hauling it back to the house.

As the saying goes as far as how we feel. What don't hurt, don't work.

View attachment 2785953

The bags and buckets sitting in front are filled with kindling.

It's in the high 70s here today but I can almost taste that first cup of morning coffee sitting in front of the fireplace with DH....not anxious for winter but it is a nice way to start the morning.
My favorite thing I ever bought was my little red enameled cast iron gas fireplace, sealed with quartz glass....I run it every single day in the winter..fall and spring a lot too! in a cold climate, you just can’t beat a fireplace for getting, and staying warm and comfortable!

I always replied “all I need to understand is that I don’t like it!”
AKA " I may not know art but I know what I like" :D

How is the Mrs. doing with her RA?
Reasonably well. Though today is "Humira now" day and she's getting tired of stabbing herself. I keep telling her every other week is a LOT better than when she started Enbrel at twice a week.

I don't know how we got so much wood this year.
Me either! I have a bit over 2 cords in front of the house .... Al came by today ;) He's coming back in the morning to dump off the rest of the 3 cords I'm buying.

AKA " I may not know art but I know what I like" :D

Reasonably well. Though today is "Humira now" day and she's getting tired of stabbing herself. I keep telling her every other week is a LOT better than when she started Enbrel at twice a week.

Me either! I have a bit over 2 cords in front of the house .... Al came by today ;) He's coming back in the morning to dump off the rest of the 3 cords I'm buying.
Exactly..”classical” to us used to be the popular music of the day..all you need to know about it is whether you like a certain piece, or don’t!

Back
Top Bottom