The Old Folks Home

So I went out and busted out the last of the window in the coop. Wasn't much of a window on a good day and I removed half of it already to put in my pop door. Have to admit there is something fun about taking a long pipe and busting out a piece of useless glass. The chickens didn't think much of the noise but the immediate breeze that came in was worth picking up all the glass and shooshing back the hens that thought I looked like I needed the help.

Got the hardware cloth up and the mounting strips screwed into place. Mostly. Need to do a bit more work there but I was dying from the heat by that point in time.

Came in and DH informed me. 95 degrees heat index 110. Ugghhh trying to cool off but I think it's a hopeless cause at this point in time.

So I went out and busted out the last of the window in the coop. Wasn't much of a window on a good day and I removed half of it already to put in my pop door. Have to admit there is something fun about taking a long pipe and busting out a piece of useless glass. The chickens didn't think much of the noise but the immediate breeze that came in was worth picking up all the glass and shooshing back the hens that thought I looked like I needed the help.

Got the hardware cloth up and the mounting strips screwed into place. Mostly. Need to do a bit more work there but I was dying from the heat by that point in time.

Came in and DH informed me. 95 degrees heat index 110. Ugghhh trying to cool off but I think it's a hopeless cause at this point in time.
Way to go! I get out there and get busy doing this 'n that until I'm drenched in sweat. I don't have the sense that the Lord gave a goat.

Way to go! I get out there and get busy doing this 'n that until I'm drenched in sweat. I don't have the sense that the Lord gave a goat.
Me neither, CSolis but I kept thinking of how how my poor chickens are and that was my motivation. Now there is a nice breeze coming in from the south to help cool them.

Um, what do you do with all the shards of glass sprayed all over the place? Seems like it might have been easier to just take the glass out.
Trust me, I've tried. The window is an ancient single pane with multiple layers of rock hard glaze on it. I worked for what seemed like hours taking one pane out and only had about 6 inches of glazing chipped out. The stuff was as hard as rock. Lord only knows how long it had been there. Rumor was that decades earlier there had been a mobile home on the site, just north of my chicken coop. The coop was a shop complete with shower back then.

I tried to remove the whole window and nope, wouldn't budge. My patience was worn thin by that time and I busted out the first window.

Tested the glaze today and yep, same way. 95 degrees. Ain't gonna argue with it. Taped a plastic bag in place and let er rip. 95% of the glass went in the bag. Very little left to pick up. Just shoveled out the litter where I was working to get all the little pieces so the lame brain birds don't go 'ooooooo....sparkly! Think I'll eat it!'

Staple the hardware cloth in place, Put strips over the edges, Done. Inside to cool off.

I used to be a principal musician of a symphony orchestra, became disabled from neck surgery hardware and constant pain. I started watching homestead channels like Coghill, and KC farms, bunch of chicken things, decided chickens would force me outside in winter (it’s snowy enough you can just hole up for weeks sometimes) and I had a lovely coop and run built, waited on and changed my Murray McMurray order for about ten months, and last April 8 I became a chicken poppa! Being older and in pain can be no fun, but, since raising my babies, I really feel better. Even have two varieties of giant pumpkins going along with a mixed French style garden..this site is new for me, I’m enjoying it..
Welcome!!

Hey! Wisher's here HI Wisher! Whatcha been up to?

Hi @Katanahamon I don't think I welcomed you to the thread yet. I got chickens for the same reason. To motivate my bum up and outside in winter to get some fresh air and to keep me busy. I have degenerative disc disease in my cervical spine also along with foramen narrowing and pinched nerves so I know what you are going through. @penny1960 is another member of the bummed out neck club also.

Between Burleson and Alvarado, to the east. Ever hear of Happy Hill and Kayhill? Kinda nestled back in there.
Had to look it up... only ever glanced over that area of Texas. I think I have never stepped foot in Dallas... I know I went to downtown Fort Worth once... that part of Texas is too far north for me. :lau

I spent my time walking over south, east, central, and west... but mostly from College Station, to Galveston to Junction, with a little bit of Alice thrown in. ;)

And the big thicket...

Texas sure is a lovely state.

Back
Top Bottom