The Old Folks Home

Hoo Hoo! Meet lil Ms Raven, King Wheaties full sister. True to her name, she spied an egg that snowy had laid right nest to the fence (Bonnie was busy in the nesting box) and stole it to eat! Isn't that what ravens do?
DSC_0475.JPG

Then she shared it with her brother King Wheaties!
DSC_0486.JPG

I find that really odd since she doesn't bother eggs laid in their coop.
DSC_0509.JPG

Meanwhile their mother Ms Sara is out for a stroll in the yard. I've seen her fan that tail like a turkey when she's chasing someone away.

Morning Old Folks @CSolis watch her egg eater are hard to break ..
Wet here awful darn wet
Like I said, there's a full complement of eggs in her coup. All but Ms Sara is laying (she quit earlier in the summer). And not a single egg missing from the nest each day.
DSC_0615.JPG

I'm getting a nice assortment of eggs from my girls.

I pulled a SCOBY out of the hotel last week, and added some of the last bottle of Kombucha I had previously made to that, then a quart or more of sweetened tea. It took a few days before I saw anything happen, then low and behold the SCOBY started a slow ascent to the top of the jar and bubbles started to appear. I thought it might be too cool in the house now (69) for things to work, but just over a week later I have a beautiful new SCOBY at the top of the jar. I'm so tickled!

The snow has changed from teeny little dusting flakes to pretty flakes. It could add up an inch.

The chickens' run has a dusting that blew in on the SE corner. The rest is dry.

I thought it might be too cool in the house now (69) for things to work, but just over a week later I have a beautiful new SCOBY at the top of the jar. I'm so tickled!
Yay!

It'll still brew at cooler temps, it just takes longer. I bottled a batch of booch yesterday. I can tell it hasn't fermented as much as usual -- it's not as carbonated, and still a little sweeter than usual.

I do a second ferment when I bottle. I add some cherry juice and let the bottles sit for 4-5 days. This one might go 6.

The snow has changed from teeny little dusting flakes to pretty flakes. It could add up an inch.

The chickens' run has a dusting that blew in on the SE corner. The rest is dry.

Yay!

It'll still brew at cooler temps, it just takes longer. I bottled a batch of booch yesterday. I can tell it hasn't fermented as much as usual -- it's not as carbonated, and still a little sweeter than usual.

I do a second ferment when I bottle. I add some cherry juice and let the bottles sit for 4-5 days. This one might go 6.
I have two varieties I like. One is adding Simply Peach to it, or Bolthouse Farms Pomegranate juice to it. Both are yummy though the Pomegranate ones are a bit tangier.

Back
Top Bottom