The Old Folks Home

The thing is, many of the games I play, I can access offline, and I have an extensive video library, so I personally could easily go 6 months or more without internet. Unfortunately it's driving Dh crazy, and the kids aren't happy about it.
They wouldn't have survived childhood in my days. Where's the good old fashioned 'go outside and play', read a book, work on a project? Too many are dependent on electronic gadgets now.

Morning all. Happy 2nd Sunday of Advent.

DH had an interesting conversation with the young Amish man who runs the local feed store. He had stopped by to pick up cracked corn and scratch for the birds and dog food for the dogs and asked him how they were doing. His wife had just had their second baby several months ago via emergency C Section. The new daddy admitted that he was worried. Baby and Momma were doing fine but they had recently (like within the past two months) had gotten a bill from the hospital for the services she received. 67,000.00 dollars and they were already threatening to turn them into collection. 'What am I going to do?' He asked my husband obviously looking for advice from an older man. 'I don't have that kind of money.' he said. The Amish do not believe in insurance and I well imagine that the community doesn't have that kind of money in the form of ready cash either.

My husband gave him some advice, telling him to go and talk to them, tell them what he had just been told and ask them for an adjusted bill if they agree to make cash payments. My 13,000.00 bill was settled with 1000.00 dollars between Medicare and me. They should be willing to give him a reduced rate based on what fees the insurance companies would use to reimburse the hospital for services. He told him he is a retired eye doctor and he knows how insurance companies work.

It's a shame my husband said to me. He's a hard working young man without insurance due to his religious beliefs and they are sitting on him hard. Meanwhile. Millions of illegals are pouring over the border and they are getting free medical care if they need it. No limits, no collection agencies breathing down their necks. Don't get me wrong. I am all for LEGAL immigration. We are a country of immigrants, a melting pot. But my fathers people came here through Ellis Island. My mother's people were here, dressed in buckskins and waving at the boats from shore.

This country is such a mess in so many ways. But affordable health care is one of the biggest hurdles it faces. I don't think single payer health care is the answer. But regulating the insurance companies so inflating healthcare costs can be controlled? Yep. I'm all for that....along with herding them all together and running them off a cliff.

Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes. Don't mean to. But could you imagine being in this young man's shoes? I can't.

Dh found the damaged wire, in the control panel, and did some repairs on it. So far, so good. I KNEW it would drive him crazy, and short of building a new circuit board, he'd get it jury rigged enough to limp us by, until they came to replace the panel.

I learned something. Get your games through Steam, instead of EA games. You can play them offline. Yes, some of the EA games can be played offline, but not all.

Clue, isn't it great to have a man around the house who can diagnose a circuitry problem or wiring malfunction plus who is handy with a soldering iron?!:love

I don't know how many things I would have normally just tossed out and DH says, let me see it. 30 minutes later he's handing it back to me and it's completely fixed.

Back
Top Bottom