The Old Folks Home

I’m so scared of color. Not once, in any home growing up, was Ma ever able to paint a room….landlords, you know. After I married, Ken and I were in the Navy for 26 years, and we couldn’t paint Navy housing units, either. Then we retired and moved into the trailer - trailer house paneling doesn’t lend itself to painting. Now suddenly I have 1856 square feet of blank canvas and I’m terrified!

I’m so scared of color. Not once, in any home growing up, was Ma ever able to paint a room….landlords, you know. After I married, Ken and I were in the Navy for 26 years, and we couldn’t paint Navy housing units, either. Then we retired and moved into the trailer - trailer house paneling doesn’t lend itself to painting. Now suddenly I have 1856 square feet of blank canvas and I’m terrified!
Just go for it, if you don't like it. Redo!

Blooie, pick a single wall to make an accent. Start there and live with it for awhile before painting another. If you don’t like it, try a different color or return to original color.

Just go for it, if you don't like it. Redo!
It’s gonna be hard enough for these two old, crippled up geezers to be going up and down ladders the way it is. Redoing isn’t quite as easy as it sounds. :lau
Blooie, pick a single wall to make an accent. Start there and live with it for awhile before painting another. If you don’t like it, try a different color or return to original color.
We have to paint every room in the house, even if we stick with white. These homes are shipped from the factory sprayer-painted with white flat paint. Flat paint is fine for ceilings, but not for walls! It’s in every room - even in the bathrooms. Who puts flat paint in bathrooms and kitchens? The house was delivered with a 5 gallon bucket of Delicate White Interior Flat paint too, like I’m gonna use it anywhere. Well, come to think of it, the ceilings might could use another coat, but that’s way down the road.

This is all so new to me I feel like such a dummy. What has me stumped isn’t the actual room painting, it’s the amount of open transition we have. For instance, the living room is a stunning (I think, anyway) blue/gray color, so if I paint the hallway sage green and the kitchen blue, no matter where you stand you can see every different color running into each other. Circus tent. On the other hand, if I paint everything so it transitions into the living room color, that’s a lot of various grays….be like living with an elephant surrounding me.

B03F2A17-C4BC-4A6E-921D-E8871F15F747.jpeg

You can see the living room from the kitchen.

BAE7A226-5F6B-4BD0-BBD6-8B3FE3F7F98A.jpeg

Standing in the same spot to take the picture, the hall wall also doubles as part of the kitchen and dining room walls.

E2E6883E-1203-4FAA-AA62-0093C565ABB2.jpeg

It’s all so confusing to me…

It’s gonna be hard enough for these two old, crippled up geezers to be going up and down ladders the way it is. Redoing isn’t quite as easy as it sounds. :lau

We have to paint every room in the house, even if we stick with white. These homes are shipped from the factory sprayer-painted with white flat paint. Flat paint is fine for ceilings, but not for walls! It’s in every room - even in the bathrooms. Who puts flat paint in bathrooms and kitchens? The house was delivered with a 5 gallon bucket of Delicate White Interior Flat paint too, like I’m gonna use it anywhere. Well, come to think of it, the ceilings might could use another coat, but that’s way down the road.

This is all so new to me I feel like such a dummy. What has me stumped isn’t the actual room painting, it’s the amount of open transition we have. For instance, the living room is a stunning (I think, anyway) blue/gray color, so if I paint the hallway sage green and the kitchen blue, no matter where you stand you can see every different color running into each other. Circus tent. On the other hand, if I paint everything so it transitions into the living room color, that’s a lot of various grays….be like living with an elephant surrounding me.

View attachment 2962793
You can see the living room from the kitchen.

View attachment 2962794
Standing in the same spot to take the picture, the hall wall also doubles as part of the kitchen and dining room walls.

View attachment 2962796
It’s all so confusing to me…
Paint the ceiling first, much better that way if you drip on the walls. Think about getting shades of a similar color for adjoining rooms. Often the color samples are helpful in that regard.

So jealous of the light airy rooms! Our house in in the woods with little natural light. While the natural wood tongue and groove wood paneling is GORGEOUS, I would never think of painting any of it. Same with the cabinetry. (I know, poor, poor me!) Just about all the light is artificial.

Oddly enough, right now is the brightest time of year. Snow on the ground, no leaves on the trees.

Our litchen is the same as when we moved in. The red is still there. The peninsula has cupboards, There is no lack of storge in the kitchen View attachment 2962845View attachment 2962844
You’ve got a ton of storage in there!!! Wow!

So jealous of the light airy rooms! Our house in in the woods with little natural light. While the natural wood tongue and groove wood paneling is GORGEOUS, I would never think of painting any of it. Same with the cabinetry. (I know, poor, poor me!) Just about all the light is artificial.

Oddly enough, right now is the brightest time of year. Snow on the ground, no leaves on the trees.
Our old house just had that gloomy, greasy, cheap paneling on all of the walls, not the beautiful stuff like you have. Well, the backsplash in the kitchen wasn’t paneling. When Ken’s aunt lived in it, she was given a partial box of floor tiles which she promptly glued to the area around the sink. I never could pry, peel, or chemical those things off.

You’ve got a ton of storage in there!!! Wow!

Our old house just had that gloomy, greasy, cheap paneling on all of the walls, not the beautiful stuff like you have. Well, the backsplash in the kitchen wasn’t paneling. When Ken’s aunt lived in it, she was given a partial box of floor tiles which she promptly glued to the area around the sink. I never could pry, peel, or chemical those things off.
Dynamite might work!

Back
Top Bottom