The Old Folks Home

I brought Tiny Dancer in since the nights are going to be miserable and he has no one to snuggle with. He was in the kitchen just talking away to himself. I recorded it, and when I was listening to the recording he was talking back to the phone. I took him out and he immediately flew into the living room window, fell down and knocked my big lens off the printer where it was sitting. Then he tried the smaller window and that didn't work either.. I picked him up and held him a while, all snuggled down in my sweater and rubbed his chin and wattles and scratched his neck.. Petted his back like a baby. He did not offer once to get away, and when I went to put him back in his cage, he wouldn't get off my hand. A few more days and he's gonna be JELLY BOID

I assume you've got heated water? Do you have to use any heat for your chickens?
I use a 1.5 gallon heated dog water dish. works great. Never had it get close to freezing. The alpacas have a 3 gallon heated bucket.

The chickens have no heat. This time of year it is pretty much the same temp in the barn and outside. -19°F this morning, no problems.

I've decided that we need a new township road commissioner.
I'm sure you'll do a fine job Micro! Get those petitions printed out.

This was taken just before we fastened it the wrong way.
Isn't it kind of hard for them to walk with the cone running into their legs?

When Rueben had his, he drove us crazy. He found a way to chew his way almost out of it. We’d put it back on and he’d have it dangling half off in minutes. So this partially destroyed plastic shield was kinda doing its job - he couldn’t chew his stitches - but it was a joke to keep it on. Then one afternoon he was coming up the deck steps. He hooked the front of the cone on the steps and that flipped one of the chewed sides backwards. EUREKA!! We took it off him and deliberately put it back on backwards. It kept him from chewing the stitches, but he didn’t have that big thing interfering with his vision, eating, or drinking, and it wasn’t constantly hacking us in the shins. Since it really wasn’t bothering him anymore, he left it alone. This was taken just before we fastened it the wrong way. View attachment 2969167
We will see put it on backwards He has these little pugsly legs. See if he can walk that way
001.jpg

I use a 1.5 gallon heated dog water dish. works great. Never had it get close to freezing. The alpacas have a 3 gallon heated bucket.

The chickens have no heat. This time of year it is pretty much the same temp in the barn and outside. -19°F this morning, no problems.

I'm sure you'll do a fine job Micro! Get those petitions printed out.

Isn't it kind of hard for them to walk with the cone running into their legs?
Electric then? Wonder why no one comes up with a battery operated one. Wonder if I could get rich if i invent one and go on shark tank?? Id need someone to do the talking cause I'd be afraid they'd tell me to take it out back and kill it!

You have plenty of wood. Make some blocks to attach to the pedals ;)

Wonder why no one comes up with a battery operated one.
You could but you'd need a big battery. Electric resistance heat is high watt usage. You could get a BIG battery and an inverter and run the 120V bowl as it is sold. But you need 2 batteries so you can have one on the charger.

Electric then? Wonder why no one comes up with a battery operated one. Wonder if I could get rich if i invent one and go on shark tank?? Id need someone to do the talking cause I'd be afraid they'd tell me to take it out back and kill it!
The problem with battery run anything in a cold climate, is the cold kills the battery.

I have to admit, I've had two of the heated dog dishes and neither lasted longer than a season. I unplug them in the spring, go to plug them back in when winter hits and they are DOA. I wind up cutting the cords off of them and using them as straight water bowls. Work great. Mice just LOVE to fall into them and drown.

Next winter I think I'm going to go to a metal hanging waterer and wrap it with that anti-freeze pipe wrap tape whatever it's called stuff that you plug in and see how that works.

Right now I'm using gallon ice cream tubs that I fill and when they freeze I swap them out and replace them, bring the frozen ones into the shop to thaw, dump, repeat. Pain in the patooty.

I have to admit, I've had two of the heated dog dishes and neither lasted longer than a season. I unplug them in the spring, go to plug them back in when winter hits and they are DOA. I wind up cutting the cords off of them and using them as straight water bowls. Work great. Mice just LOVE to fall into them and drown.

Next winter I think I'm going to go to a metal hanging waterer and wrap it with that anti-freeze pipe wrap tape whatever it's called stuff that you plug in and see how that works.

Right now I'm using gallon ice cream tubs that I fill and when they freeze I swap them out and replace them, bring the frozen ones into the shop to thaw, dump, repeat. Pain in the patooty.
20220117_192625.jpg
20220117_192602.jpg

Back
Top Bottom