The Old Folks Home

IMG_2961.JPG

I felt creative after a nap this afternoon so I went on a scavenger hunt and came up with the old cup warmer that we had in the office. It still worked! YAY. It's never hard to come up with wood scraps around here and I found an old cookie tin and went to work.

@CapricornFarm, thank you so much for the inspiration! It went together easily. I wrapped the cord with electrician's tape just to give it some added protection then I calked around the cord to keep water out. (my birds are pigs). DH rolled the edges for me using optical pliers for added safety. I'm waiting for the calk to set right now and going to give it a test run.

Last fall when I was so sick I told my husband that I was considering selling my incubator and not hatching any more chicks. He told me to hold off. Maybe I'd feel more like it next spring. I'm glad I listened to him. I'm going to separate my bantams and near miss Littles in their own coop next month and gather eggs from them for March incubating. Then I will do the same with the Fayoumis and hatch 4 of their eggs.

If I wasn't having to contend with the severe Osteo arthritis pain I would feel pretty close to perfect. I'm sticking with my diet (although I am sitting here munching on a home made brownie right now, as close to cheating as I get) Sticking with my meds and hoping for the best. Spring is around the corner and I'm going to be ready for it.

View attachment 2970068

I felt creative after a nap this afternoon so I went on a scavenger hunt and came up with the old cup warmer that we had in the office. It still worked! YAY. It's never hard to come up with wood scraps around here and I found an old cookie tin and went to work.

@CapricornFarm, thank you so much for the inspiration! It went together easily. I wrapped the cord with electrician's tape just to give it some added protection then I calked around the cord to keep water out. (my birds are pigs). DH rolled the edges for me using optical pliers for added safety. I'm waiting for the calk to set right now and going to give it a test run.

Last fall when I was so sick I told my husband that I was considering selling my incubator and not hatching any more chicks. He told me to hold off. Maybe I'd feel more like it next spring. I'm glad I listened to him. I'm going to separate my bantams and near miss Littles in their own coop next month and gather eggs from them for March incubating. Then I will do the same with the Fayoumis and hatch 4 of their eggs.

If I wasn't having to contend with the severe Osteo arthritis pain I would feel pretty close to perfect. I'm sticking with my diet (although I am sitting here munching on a home made brownie right now, as close to cheating as I get) Sticking with my meds and hoping for the best. Spring is around the corner and I'm going to be ready for it.
They really are fast and easy. I have one i am going to duct tape shut because the birds like to knock theirs over. Going to throw another one together soon.
I have your rocks piling up in a box, so when i am satisfied with it, will send it off to you.

They really are fast and easy. I have one i am going to duct tape shut because the birds like to knock theirs over. Going to throw another one together soon.
I have your rocks piling up in a box, so when i am satisfied with it, will send it off to you.
:clap:celebrate:hugs I eagerly await their arrival! I have some granite chunks in my tumbler that every day I say, I need to check those and every night it's like, okay, TOMORROW I'll check those!

I'm thinking about putting bricks around mine to make sure they can't tip it over. I did wrap the seam with electricians tape that can be easily removed. Right now I have it plugged in in the kitchen with an aluminum bowl of water on it as a test run. I'm impressed on how warm the 'tin' gets.

@Blooie, I'm not smart, I'm just cheap!:gigWith prices going up on everything and this nasty business in the Ukraine hanging over the horizon I'm trying to cut corners and stock up on food while it's still available. I'd much rather use what I have around the house than go out and buy new and @CapricornFarm's idea does do just that!

Last edited:
Because? I see no reason other than it probably uses more electricity because it keeps the water hotter. I think the heated dog dish doesn't keep it much above freezing.
You can plug aquarium heaters into thermal cubes so they only come on as needed.

IMGP0102.JPG
Danged. I guess he figured if he kept a low profile I wouldn't see him and put him in his cage for the night. He didn't fuss a bit when I picked him up, but stuck to my hand like gum in hair when it was time to get on the roost. 'Mommyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, I don't want toooooooo!' Didn't think he would warm up to me this fast!

SDW OEGB roosters can steal your heart at warp speed. Every one of my 12 boys are like that. Just little babies and the more you handle them, the sweeter mine get. I've never had one come at me with malice. One youngster once pecked me but it only took me dangling him by his heels once to get the idea across to him that pecking and biting were not acceptable behaviors and would not be tolerated.

So has Tiny Dancer discovered his canine house mate yet, @CSolis? I'm awaiting him riding on Gator's back.

@bruceha2000 the problem I have with the aquarium heaters is the fact that they can potentially brake and once that happens disaster follows. I bought two on ebay and had one break just in testing them. Thing literally shattered the minute the glass hit the water. That was enough of a turn off for me. I never used the second one. I just kept thinking what would happen if one of my flighty Fayoumi girls went charging through the water bowl like I've seen them do and ran into the glass heater cover breaking it. Didn't want to go there.

Back
Top Bottom