The Old Folks Home

Funny you should mention that. I used to go to a doctor who was thorough and unconventional. One of the first things he did was give me a paper on margarine and corn oil. It showed that heart disease didn't exist in Alaska until after traditional American grocery stores moved into the area in the 1950's. I was thinking in terms of avoiding butter because I am so overweight, but I should be avoiding a lot of other things, too.

Although I've always endorsed fresh food, I've heard the siren call of "convenience foods" too, and started to slip away from my healthy habits. I gained weight, in the process. So, I've recently gotten pretty rigorous about avoiding processed foods. I eat butter, whole milk (low fat/skim has non-fat dry milk added to it for consistency, which is even worse for cholesterol), lots of cheese, fresh fruits and veggies, pastured meats and eggs, and don't pay attention to calories, carbs, fats, etc. Without any other changes to my diet, I've lost a clothing size in the past few months. I haven't weighed myself, so don't know what the total loss is so far but, when I put my hands in my pockets, my pants slide down my hips.

In his book, In Defense of Food, MIchael Pollan describes how nutritionism has changed the American diet and had a deleterious effect on our health, causing or seriously contributing to the rise of Western diseases: obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Nutritionism, different from "nutrition", is an ideology that shifts the focus from food to nutrients: "the widely shared but unexamined assumption of nutritionism is that the key to understanding food is the nutrient. To enter a world in which you dine on unseen nutrients, you need lots of expert help. This is good for business. But is it good for us? You might think that a national fixation on nutrients would lead to measurable improvements in the public health. But for that to happen, the underlying nutritional science, as well as the policy recommendations (and the journalism) based on that science, would have to be sound. This has seldom been the case."

When it comes to the current national rate of obesity, "nutritionism deserves as much of the blame as the carbohydrates/fats/calories themselves do — that and human nature. By framing dietary advice in terms of good and bad nutrients, and by burying the recommendation that we should eat less of any particular food, it was easy for the take-home message of the 1977 and 1982 dietary guidelines to be simplified as follows: Eat more low-fat foods. And that is what we did. We’re always happy to receive a dispensation to eat more of something (with the possible exception of oat bran), and one of the things nutritionism reliably gives us is some such dispensation: low-fat cookies then, low-carb beer now. It’s hard to imagine the low-fat craze taking off as it did if McGovern’s original food-based recommendations had stood: eat fewer meat and dairy products. For how do you get from that stark counsel to the idea that another case of Snackwell’s is just what the doctor ordered?"

"Scientists operating with the best of intentions, using the best tools at their disposal, have taught us to look at food in a way that has diminished our pleasure in eating it while doing little or nothing to improve our health. Perhaps what we need now is a broader, less reductive view of what food is, one that is at once more ecological and cultural."

What to do? "Eat food (not edible foodlike substances). Not too much. Mostly plants. A little meat won’t kill you, though it’s better approached as a side dish than as a main. And you’re much better off eating whole fresh foods than processed food products. If you’re concerned about your health, you should probably avoid food products that make health claims. Why? Because a health claim on a food product is a good indication that it’s not really food, and food is what you want to eat."

Eat traditional diets like the French, Italians, Greek, or Okinawans. The French paradox is the observation that French people suffer a relatively low incidence of heart disease, and obesity, despite having a diet relatively rich in saturated fats.

Yes, I spend a lot of time cooking, canning, gardening and shopping at local farms, but I enjoy it. It beats spending time on Facebook, playing mindless computer games, or watching reality shows. I don't think I spend a whole lot more money on food, because I grow some of my own and don't buy snacks like cookies or chips. So, I think it balances out.

Did you know that in 1960, 17.7% of our national personal income was spent on food, while only 5% was spent on health care: but, that today those numbers have flipped to 9.9% on fast, easy, cheap food, and 16.6% on health care? As a nation we spend less on food than any other, but we're also more obese and less healthy.

If you want to read a shorter version of the book that will give you all the information you need, read Pollan's paper, Unhappy Meals, upon which his book is based. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www

</end rant>

Butter does have some "issues" but at least it's a natural product and your body knows what to do with it. Other things have been so "processed" from stuff like petroleum that your body just doesn't have a clue as to how to utilize it! I even wonder sometimes about the butter you buy at the store. I made some of my own a week or so ago and it's very different...tastes about the same but it melts faster and gets hard as rocks in the fridge, unlike the stuff you buy.

Read the ingredient label. Does it say anything other than cream? I buy Amish butter in 2 pound rolls from a local farm store. I know what you mean about the differences when melting and refrigerating.

Last edited:
Stumpy and I live in the same area, I have never had, made, or heard of anyone around here making pea soup, either. I have heard people say, "the fog was as thick as pea soup" but never actually had experienced that.
wink.png

Hello Everybody Hey 7Biddies where do you find Amish butter??? I am in Florida--havent seen any (Amish or butter) here.Thanks Mrs Puckridge

Nothing like a hearty pea soup on a cold fall day!!

I remember what it tastes like--but I don't eat it as I am still working on a lot of weight loss. Some day I will be able to have a small cup of yummy pea soup again.

I look to the old ways of eating before refrigerators to find clues to healthy foods. I read a lot about studies and books on foods, diets and a new WOE. Much has been written on how we and other countries have become obese. I read one book on diet about 12 years ago and it was the first person I had encountered my whole life who seemed to understand how my body reacted to food. I now eat low carb.

THere is a study on the Inuit people from 1925 or so looking simple at the teeth to monitor health. Counting teeth and counting cavities. Island by island. Some of these folk received food from the government and some ate the traditional way. That was also recorded. THose that maintained the traditional ways had fewer cavities, about 5-10% rate; those that ate governemnt food had more like 45-55% cavities.

I just know my body--I have a sensitivity to carbs and my blood sugars jump and dive too easily. When I eat a controlled carb diet, it's like I have a whole new body ( LOL almost!) I depend on meats at this point in the weight loss process; when I don't want to lose any more I willl start to increase carbs slowly to a level that I maintain weight.

All about making choices of what to put in my mouth. If I eat a plain hamburger with a slice of cheese and tomato I'm good; eat a candy? I'm reaching for more candy. Bread has the same effect as pure sugar--fast carb load.

I can't out run my boys but I can play soccer with them now.

Last edited:
Hello Everybody Hey 7Biddies where do you find Amish butter??? I am in Florida--havent seen any (Amish or butter) here.Thanks Mrs Puckridge

There's a farm up here that sells a few other things aside from fresh veggies, like pastured beef, bread, and Amish butter. I get it there. They close in the winter, after the harvest, so I buy extra in the summer and freeze it.

Where in FL are you? There's a German Baptist community in Redlands (Homestead), Knause Berry Farm, that may have it or know where you can get it.

Last edited:
Nothing like a hearty pea soup on a cold fall day!!

I remember what it tastes like--but I don't eat it as I am still working on a lot of weight loss. Some day I will be able to have a small cup of yummy pea soup again.

I look to the old ways of eating before refrigerators to find clues to healthy foods. I read a lot about studies and books on foods, diets and a new WOE. Much has been written on how we and other countries have become obese. I read one book on diet about 12 years ago and it was the first person I had encountered y whole life who seemed to understand how my body reacted to food. I now eat low carb.

THere is a study on the Inuit people from 1925 or so looking simple at the teeth to monitor health. Counting teeth and counting cavities. Island by island. Some of these folk received food from the government and some ate the traditional way. That was also recorded. THose that maintained the traditional ways had fewer cavities, about 5-10% rate; those that ate governemnt food had more like 45-55% cavities.

I just know my body--I have a sensitivity to carbs and my blood sugars jump and dive too easily. When I eat a controlled carb diet, it's like I have a whole new body ( LOL almost!) I depend on meats at this point in the weight loss process; when I don't want to lose any more I willl start to increase carbs slowly to a level that I maintain weight.

All about making choices of what to put in my mouth. If I eat a plain hamburger with a slice of cheese and tomato I'm good; eat a candy? I'm reaching for more candy. Bread has the same effect as pure sugar--fast carb load.

I can't out run my boys but I can play soccer with them now.

Eat real food, know thy body. Sounds like a healthy, realistic approach that's working for you. Pollan's bottom line is that the nutritionists, nutrition scientists, government, and food "producers" like Archer Midland Daniels don't know as much as they'd like us to believe. There's no profit in prescribing real food, no job security in taking the mystery out of eating. Our grandmothers and great grandmothers didn't have to worry about all this b/c they cooked and ate real food.

Last edited:
I have to agree that butter is better, and the fake stuff turns out is worse than anything. I could never give up buttr completely, but a good substitite is a really good olive olive. Expect to pay more, but soaked in bread or used in salad it lasts a long time and tastes great, and turns out its good for you too.
Remember, back 'in the day' when people ate like horses, they worked like horses too. With all the modern appliances we no longer expend those calories on day to day living.

I love the idea of using the crock pot, and having it done by supper time!

I live in the west now, miss a lot of that southern food, even though it's been years..I still miss hush-puppies, the good kind! What they call hush puppies around here ~ well ~ just isn't.

My son will be going to Georgia next month..he will now have the southern food experience, and hopefully the friendly people experience. :)

Crockpots are great! Especially for those tougher cuts. One thing I like to do is freeze portions so on those days I don't feel like cooking I can simply defroast, reheat, and there's my fast food. It works great for all those times you make too much for one or two and don't want it everyday of the week. Besides, my nearest fast food joint is half an hour drive...fortunately.

Back
Top Bottom