The Old Ladies Group *PICS* // RIP Ginger... Now Ivy's Gone

AAhhh! Such sweet ladies! I'm quite sure they have had a great life with you!
smile.png
Is a 5 year old hen unusual? How long is a natural life span for a hen? When do they quit laying altogether?

If they don't die from a reproductive malfunction or predator, they can live as long as 15-20 years, though that is very rare. My oldest hens who aren't dying from internal laying are still laying a few eggs each week, 3-4.

Mark, my own dog isn't looking great at the moment. She is going on 13 years old, losing weight, no appetite, seems to have trouble with her hips, etc. I think our time with her is short, too. Sorry about your dog.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Its okay, everyday gets more special with her, mine is also the same age as yours with similar problems. Thats the circle of life i suppose.
hmm.png

Thanks for sharing the pics of your old ladies.....they look so healthy! Looks like you've got a beautiful place for them to live! I would never guess that they were having problems with internal laying. My oldest hens are about 18 months old......how do you know when they begin this internal laying, and what do you do for them?

I am wondering what kind of chicken that last one is.....looks to be rumpless.......

Have a wonderful day, and thanks again for sharing!

Roosevelt isn't rumpless. He's just a big old Orpington boy who is slow to get his tail feathers, as is common with them. He is a Blue Orp x RIR/Buff Orp cross.

Internal laying and egg peritonitis are hard to diagnose unless you've been through it before. Not all of mine have had huge amounts of fluid in the abdomen, either. They just go on the nest, produce no eggs, and some even strain. They feel like they have to lay but stuff is building in the oviducts. Later, after a period of no eggs, they begin to lose weight, alarmingly. Then they become weak and pass away. We always opened them up and checked the oviducts and abdomen for gunk, which is why we know what caused their deaths. We now recognize the signs.

Back
Top Bottom