The olive egger and the Easter egger / Ameracauna bred with these 3.

kambrose

Chirping
Apr 15, 2015
Southern Utah
1) Ameracauna x barred rock,
Ameracauna x welsummer,
Ameracauna x australorp

Anyone have pictures of what they look like and there eggs?
I am not sure on color of the Ameracauna.

I have black ones and black with little brown and the black/white one. 3 weeks old

2) what is the difference between the Easter egger and Ameracauna?

3) how do u get olive eggers? Is it just an Easter egger with a Maran? Or any real dark brown?

Thanks!!! :) excited to see what everyone says.

Ameraucana is a true breed that conforms to set standards (muffs, beard, slate blue legs, pea comb, blue eggs, etc.) and will breed true. Easter Eggers are hybrids produced by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers to produce offspring that lay eggs in colors other than just blue (olive, green, beige, and sometimes even pale pink). Since they are hybrids, EEs do not conform to a set standard and will not breed true. An Olive Egger is an EE produced by crossing a blue egg layer with a chocolate egg layer (Maran, Welsummer, Barnevelder, Penadescenca, etc.) to produce offspring that lay olive green eggs (hence the name Olive Egger). There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the difference between Ameraucana, Araucanas, and Easter Eggers.

Last edited:
If your rooster carries the blue egg gene (not a guarantee with an EE), his female chicks could lay shades of green or brown eggs. As long as he's not barred, bred with your Barred Rock hen will produce black sexlinked chicks. Any barred chicks would be male. All the Australorp's chicks will probably be solid black.

Thank you!
1f600.png

These really helped me understand the breed better and how the colored eggs work!

Does anyone have pictures of what the birds look like crossed? Or own these crosses from above?

What they look like will depend a whole lot on what color your rooster is. Do you have any photos of him? I have ameraucana x welsummer hens as well as some young pullets that are from those hens crossed with my EE rooster. I can take some photos of them for you but yours could look totally different depending on your rooster's coloring.

I have australorp/ EE crosses too. They will be black with some other colors showing through.

What they look like will depend a whole lot on what color your rooster is. Do you have any photos of him? I have ameraucana x welsummer hens as well as some young pullets that are from those hens crossed with my EE rooster. I can take some photos of them for you but yours could look totally different depending on your rooster's coloring.

I have australorp/ EE crosses too. They will be black with some other colors showing through.
x2

Back
Top Bottom