The Olive-Egger thread!

I just 2 OE's from Marans/Ameraucans cross and I have isbar/silkie crosses going in the G2 eggs she sent r a darker green considered OE's or no?? Lol from the pics they will be adorable little nuggets more like bantam sized!

ep.gif
celebrate.gif
yesss.gif

YES!!!!! YES!!!! YIPPEE!!!! Seriously, I am VERY happy with the egg that one of my Ameraucana x Marans mixes laid. Just look at all of those SPOTS!!!!!

Edited to add: I've been haunting the internet looking for pictures of eggs like this. They are so hard to find. I was planning to spend the next year raising some chickens that lay brown spotted eggs so I could make crosses that lay eggs like this and you can imagine my surprise when I saw this baby in the nest box.

Last edited:
Thank you!! I've been haunting the internet looking for pictures of eggs like this and drooling. I was planning on spending the next year raising and crossing chickens to make olive spotted layers.
How old is your OE pullet?

Glad your OE saved you all that trouble and just made with the spotted eggs right away! :)

My pullet is only 5 weeks old, so I'll probably be waiting until next spring, which is a bit painful. She is Welsummer/Legbar, and I'm a bit hopeful for spots as well, since Wellies are know for them. We'll see. :)

Glad your OE saved you all that trouble and just made with the spotted eggs right away! :)

My pullet is only 5 weeks old, so I'll probably be waiting until next spring, which is a bit painful. She is Welsummer/Legbar, and I'm a bit hopeful for spots as well, since Wellies are know for them. We'll see. :)

aww, I bet she's adorable. That mix should make for some pretty spots. Best of luck to you!

YES!!!!! YES!!!! YIPPEE!!!! Seriously, I am VERY happy with the egg that one of my Ameraucana x Marans mixes laid. Just look at all of those SPOTS!!!!!

Edited to add: I've been haunting the internet looking for pictures of eggs like this. They are so hard to find. I was planning to spend the next year raising some chickens that lay brown spotted eggs so I could make crosses that lay eggs like this and you can imagine my surprise when I saw this baby in the nest box.
Nice! I have some speckled Olives....used Welsummer cock over a blue laying EE hen.
Speckles can vary tho, some days are more speckledy than others.

:eek: :celebrate :yesss: YES!!!!! YES!!!! YIPPEE!!!! Seriously, I am VERY happy with the egg that one of my Ameraucana x Marans mixes laid. Just look at all of those SPOTS!!!!! Edited to add: I've been haunting the internet looking for pictures of eggs like this. They are so hard to find. I was planning to spend the next year raising some chickens that lay brown spotted eggs so I could make crosses that lay eggs like this and you can imagine my surprise when I saw this baby in the nest box.
I have 2 OE hens of that cross and I will occasionally get one like that. Usually they lay almost identical eggs with variations in shade. Soooo, you may not see another beauty like that every day in your nest box. Sorry. :(

Nice! I have some speckled Olives....used Welsummer cock over a blue laying EE hen.
Speckles can vary tho, some days are more speckledy than others.

Quote:
I have 2 OE hens of that cross and I will occasionally get one like that. Usually they lay almost identical eggs with variations in shade. Soooo, you may not see another beauty like that every day in your nest box. Sorry.
sad.png

Oh, ok. I didn't know that. Thank you for letting me know.

Once or twice a week someone lays an olive egg with lavender-gray spots like this one (on the right). Also, about 2 or 3 times a week I get an egg with some brown spots around one end of the egg and almost none on the other end. Do you think they all could come from the same pullet?

Back
Top Bottom