The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. short pup

short pup New Egg

Aug 29, 2011
    my brother has an olive egger to keep our baby turken warm

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Steve- I wouldn't be surprised if mayube she throws a green egg once in a while. I have a sizzle OE that does that- forgot all about her since she's broody 90% of the time.

Here's my oldest BW OE pair. This is one mutt roo I am actually excited about keeping!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the wheaten marans eggs they came from, so hoping we get some darker olives this time around.

[​IMG]

3. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't know how to find it. Will you get an olive egg if instead of a bcm on a am, does it still work if it's a am roo on a bcm hen?

4. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:Same either way [​IMG]

5. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Quote:Nice! -
    I have to say I am surprised to have gotten an egg from your girls already... Only 20 weeks this coming weekend. Born April 16th...

6. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    I just want to join the thread, I am officially starting my Olive-egger project. I plan on working on it for the next five years. My start is an Araucana rooster, Sappo...
    [​IMG]
    And my Black and Blue-copper hens..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eggs... A couple of Oprington eggs thrown in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hatched a few eggs from different BCs, but I did not like their body-type. I did get the most lovely colored Blue cockerel with the most bright red hackles and featherd legs. He was the most agressive roo I have ever had. He went to freezer camp. These hens are much heavier. They also lay darker eggs.

I am putting them under my broody Cuckoo. I want my Oive-eggers to be able to be raised by a hen. Can hardley wait to see what I get.

7. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Olive eggs are real conversation starters. Most folks have heard of blue and green eggs, but are amazed that chickens can lay olive eggs as well. I've hatched a bunch of the olive eggs, and I've seen chicks with varying proportion of either grandparent's genes. They're usually the ones who POP! out of that egg and get on with living. [​IMG]

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Oh I LOVE your blue hen! I wish mine could keep their backs so nice.

I agree Cattitude. They are even better when you crack them open and they are blue inside. [​IMG]

9. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    They just started laying. We will see how long their backs stay nice. All my other girls are wearing saddles. [​IMG]

10. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Your eggs are so pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by