The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:It can be frustrating waiting & waiting for those first eggs, but honestly, you really don't want them to rush; if they are pushed (for example, given laying feed before they begin to lay), you can end up with laying issues later such as internal laying or becoming eggbound. Although it's a long wait sometimes, I am ALWAYS happy when they wait until past 26 or 28 weeks, as I'm confident that I won't have future laying issues when they do.

2. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Hi all! I thought I would share my 5 month old OE roo, Bacchus (meaning 'to shout' because he literally won't stop crowing!) my lovely blue barred boy. He came from Froggy Bog Farm eggs, whom if I recall correctly has 1 hen that carries the blue gene, and luckily out of a few hatches I ended up with this guy, 1 solid blue pullet and 2 blue barred muffed pullets! All are clean legged aside from this guy who looks like he has shank feathers that tried to make it out but didn't quite.. in any case, he's a fun guy! Can't wait to see the babies I get from him in the spring.

[​IMG]

3. Cydney83

Cydney83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Central New York!
    Quote:Beautiful!

4. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    DF cottage, he is a stunner!

5. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Beautiful!

7. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Thanks guys! He literally will. not. stop. crowing. He's been that way since day 1, always making noise. But he's good to his girls, and is even in the pen right now with my wheaten am roo, and they're great together. The barred hackles didn't pop out until about a month ago, and I was hoping they'd all get like that, and they did! He's still filling out but I'm so excited to have him.

8. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Here are some olive egger x olive eggers I've been experimenting with. They're 12 weeks now. Have 18 in the bator mostly pipped, and 2 out.

Still my favorite!!
    [​IMG]

Caught him preening that why his tail is funny.
    [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'd LOVE to see how the egg color turns out! I've always wanted to do OE x OE but the family doesn't want that.

I'm thinking you have something around a 25% or less chance of a very, very rich dark GREEN egg layer there.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:They're so pretty! Love their coloring!

~Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by