The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Quote:They look familiar, BuffyGRL, - I also hatched Alicefelldown's eggs! I only got 2 pullets, - one very pretty gray like yours, and one that is very large and black with a large red straight comb. I assume it will not lay olive, but it is a nice-looking healthy bird. I'm keeping one of the roosters, too, since our EE roo has been attacking DH. I want to try an OE x OE cross. I have one pullet from an EE x Welsummer. Not sure it the EE roo has the blue-green gene, but the Welsummer hen lays a very nice dark brown egg with speckles. I can't wait to see what she lays!

2. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They look familiar, BuffyGRL, - I also hatched Alicefelldown's eggs! I only got 2 pullets, - one very pretty gray like yours, and one that is very large and black with a large red straight comb. I assume it will not lay olive, but it is a nice-looking healthy bird. I'm keeping one of the roosters, too, since our EE roo has been attacking DH. I want to try an OE x OE cross. I have one pullet from an EE x Welsummer. Not sure it the EE roo has the blue-green gene, but the Welsummer hen lays a very nice dark brown egg with speckles. I can't wait to see what she lays!

Thats is the fun part, the mystery egg. But I hope you get a nice olive egg..maybe even with speckles [​IMG].

3. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I know my olive eggers are going to be the last to lay for me... so much anticipation.... [​IMG]

4. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Wow! I got a pullet egg today from a hen that is only 20 weeks. It is not olive, but I still think it is pretty. It is part of a hatch from alicefelldown's eggs, but this one has a straight comb.
    [​IMG]
    (the dark egg in the foreground)

I'm pretty sure that this is the hen that laid it, although the photo is from when she was much younger, - her comb is very large and red now:
    [​IMG]

I can't wait for the other girl's to start laying. I still have hopes for olive from 2 other hens!

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Beautiful! See- single combed chicks that show up in subsequent generations of OEs are NOT useless! We even had some pure welsummers hatch out of my OE eggs after the OE moms were crossed back to a wellie roo. Crazy!

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Definitely not. I've been waiting on another single combed OE pullet for a while now, because my pairing are both parents who possess the genes to lay consistent or near consistent coating on them, thus, the single combed OE has a good chance of laying very consistent purple/plum colored eggs.

7. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Even if you don't get olive eggs- the dark ones are still awesome. Plus you get that hybrid vigor. Maybe I am biased, but it seems like they lay sooner and better than the pure blue or chocolate layers.

8. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Quote:Yes and no with my OE's from you Amy... My OE x Ameraucana started laying at 20 weeks - a cool blueish/green egg, but my 2 OEs x Wellie have not started laying yet at 24 weeks. One has a Single Comb, the other Pea... Can't wait to see what happens. I figure the Pea Comb will lay a nice Olive Egg but the Single Comb is a mystery... I'll keep you posted...

9. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Yes and no with my OE's from you Amy... My OE x Ameraucana started laying at 20 weeks - a cool blueish/green egg, but my 2 OEs x Wellie have not started laying yet at 24 weeks. One has a Single Comb, the other Pea... Can't wait to see what happens. I figure the Pea Comb will lay a nice Olive Egg but the Single Comb is a mystery... I'll keep you posted...

My EEs always seem to start in good time, but the wheaten ameraucanas,,,,ugh! I have had them go 9 months or more! Right now most of my birds are moulting, but the EEs & OEs are still plugging along. And the cochins, seen as how they were broody all spring and summer, are laying well now.

I'm betting you'll get a terra cotta speckled egg from the single combed girl. Hope they start up for you soon. Sometimes if they don't start by Sept/Oct, they will wait til the solstice and suddenly you're buried in eggs. [​IMG]

10. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine

My EEs always seem to start in good time, but the wheaten ameraucanas,,,,ugh! I have had them go 9 months or more! Right now most of my birds are moulting, but the EEs & OEs are still plugging along. And the cochins, seen as how they were broody all spring and summer, are laying well now.

I'm betting you'll get a terra cotta speckled egg from the single combed girl. Hope they start up for you soon. Sometimes if they don't start by Sept/Oct, they will wait til the solstice and suddenly you're buried in eggs. [​IMG]

Are you talking Summer Solstice next June? or Winter Solstice in December?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by