The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Here is one of my olive egger X olive eggers. 15 weeks old. I think he's turning out to be one handsome guy, although this pic is kind of a silly angle! I'd LOVE to home him but if not he must go to freezer camp. I cant seem to even give them away here.. heck I dont even think I could pay people to take them!!

[​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Nice! Congrats!
    I wish I knew you had them I could have given you some hatching eggs and you wouldn't need to set up a pen yet. (That's what I am doing with my orps for now so I can cut back on the pens for winter ) I have been getting all blue and splash copper HUGE feather legged birds. About 75% of them girls so far. Maybe next time [​IMG]

3. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:There is another thread about keeping chickens in the house. This one really should be posted there as well!!!! [​IMG]

Oh, how he LONGS to be outside .... [​IMG]

4. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:He almost looks like pure splash wheaten ameraucana. I have had a really hard time this year too. I am going to be much more selective about what I hatch from now on.

5. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Quote:He almost looks like pure splash wheaten ameraucana. I have had a really hard time this year too. I am going to be much more selective about what I hatch from now on.

Funny, a few people have told me they were splash! Its a dominant white gene that I'm so happy popped up unexpectedly. I have maybe 5 or so. All VERY pretty. I'll have to get a couple more pics of them. 2 absolutely stunning pullets, but they have single combs [​IMG] . I know the eggs will be an interesting brown though!

[​IMG]

This one is 1/4 cochin, 3/4 olive egger. mama lays a darker sage egg, and she has the same olive egger daddy(that carries the dominant white gene.)
    This pic is a couple weeks old. The lacing is pretty much all over now. So.Pretty!
    [​IMG]

And a hatchmate who didn't get the dominant white gene.
    But she has a pea comb!
    [​IMG]

6. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN

Funny, a few people have told me they were splash! Its a dominant white gene that I'm so happy popped up unexpectedly. I have maybe 5 or so. All VERY pretty. I'll have to get a couple more pics of them. 2 absolutely stunning pullets, but they have single combs [​IMG] . I know the eggs will be an interesting brown though!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e193/StArZ-N-MoOnz/Chickens Ducks and Eggs/IMG_2469.jpg

This one is 1/4 cochin, 3/4 olive egger. mama lays a darker sage egg, and she has the same olive egger daddy(that carries the dominant white gene.)
    This pic is a couple weeks old. The lacing is pretty much all over now. So.Pretty!
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e193/StArZ-N-MoOnz/Chickens Ducks and Eggs/IMG_2458.jpg

And a hatchmate who didn't get the dominant white gene.
    But she has a pea comb!
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e193/StArZ-N-MoOnz/Chickens Ducks and Eggs/IMG_2472.jpg

Beautiful! I love that laced girl.
    We were discussing the pea combs on the Am thread a short time ago. It seems they have been bred for small combs for so many generations that the pullets almost appear to have a tiny single comb until almost POL. This is really becoming a PIA for me because sometimes I cannot tell my blue copper marans from the olive egger girls [​IMG] I guess I have to wait to see what they lay, but I plan on keeping most of the females anyway. It hasn't been an issue in the boys at all here. [​IMG]

7. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:Nice! Congrats!
    I wish I knew you had them I could have given you some hatching eggs and you wouldn't need to set up a pen yet. (That's what I am doing with my orps for now so I can cut back on the pens for winter ) I have been getting all blue and splash copper HUGE feather legged birds. About 75% of them girls so far. Maybe next time [​IMG]

I have seven Marans roos and the pens had to be made. I really don't have room for more with out them. Holly is trying to push another roo my way now.... White AM... tempting... Blue egg genes and all, she should have been a sales person [​IMG] Maybe next time...

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have a splash olive egger - this was my rooster (he is a multiple generation olive egger from Ruth - don't have him anymore, had to make way for my barnevelders):
    [​IMG]

And the momma - a first generation olive egger:
    [​IMG]

Gave me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This black guy was from one of my black olive egger hens - daddy roo had very sparse leg feathering and mom had none, but check out this guys heavy feathering:
    [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Curious, if it popped up unexpectedly, how does that make it dominant white? [​IMG]

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    So I'm thinking about moving one of my Isa Browns (production red) in with a blue ameraucana dude I have on the farm. I seem to keep getting too far on the dark scale with some of my olive eggers, and I'm wondering if it's because my Marans lay so dark? When crossed to the EEs or Ameraucanas, the first generation lays beautiful, like the olive egg in my avatar. But, when crossed back to the Marans, the eggs are so dark olive green they almost look brown.

My Isa Browns lay a darker brown that most...they would probably run maybe a 3 on the Marans egg colour chart (I've never graded them, though). So - maybe the pullets from the above cross, put in with my Marans rooster, would yield just the right shade? What do you think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by