The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:I'm no Olive Egger expert by any means, but I think that would make some beautiful babies.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'm not fully sure what I think, honestly [​IMG]

So you want a shade like F1's, but you want it to appear in a second gen Olive Egger? And you're asking if Marans x green EE will work? Is that what I'm hearing?

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Sorry, Illia. I think I was typing too fast. Here's what I'm thinking:

Blue Ameruacana X Isa Brown (true blue egg line for Ameraucana, Isa Brown lays a "3" on the scale) - "should" result in a medium olive brown???

Then, the pullet offspring go to the Marans pen, to darken the green. So it'd take 2 gens to find out.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I think it will work.

However, remember that at most 50% of the girls will lay what you want, since you've got two birds here with brown eggs and only one involved with blue. [​IMG]

I had a New Hampshire who laid a pretty decent brown egg, accidentally crossed her with an Araucana (well, more like a broody just happened to hatch em) and I got eggs that first convinced me my Olive Egger girls were laying, but, they weren't. So I think it might work, you might get some too dark for your taste though, and lots of browns, but it is worth the shot!

I have a project I still want to do that takes time and a lot of girls to wait on laying to get the right color, but, it's worth it.

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Kewl, thanks, Illia! [​IMG]

6. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Quote:Curious, if it popped up unexpectedly, how does that make it dominant white? [​IMG]

Unexpectedly to me. I didn't know much about what I was hatching. [​IMG] Didn't realize what the rooster was until I hatched chicks also. A few people had told me splash.

7. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:That might be a good idea! I have thought the color should be darker with the first cross, but it is still very pretty. Have you thought about breeding the F1's to the F1's to keep the color the same maybe? There is someone on this forum that is trying to breed them true and I don't know off the top of my head what he did but he thinks they are breeding true.

I have a couple of chicks that hatched from very dark brown eggs and am waiting to see what I will get with that cross. [​IMG]

8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    DM, that MAY be Illia breeding them to each other - Illia?

I'm trying for a very dark olive, but not a brownish olive. I have a particular shade in mind and, while I do like the olive green shade of egg in my avatar, I'm hoping for just a hair darker. But, using Marans for both generation crosses is getting me too dark with the second generation and not dark enough with the first.

IF I can get to a point where I'm super pleased with egg color, then I'l breed together to see if it holds! [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I am, yes, not sure if you actually meant someone else though. My goal is for a very nice rich dark green. Because OE x Marans = diluting the blue even more, thus, a browner AND darker egg, I'm sure the right pick from an OE x OE will get you the same as an F1 OE except darker and richer.

10. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by