The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:If you need to find out if they'll ship well, Pick me! Pick me! [​IMG]

2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:That is good info.... now to make a roo [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Wynette - why not just put the olive egger gals that are laying too dark in with the Ameraucana boy? Wouldn't that strengthen the blue egg gene and possibly get the egg color where you want it?

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I am wondering if it will actually work with the Isa Brown because their egg shells don't actually have the "paint" that covers up the blue like marans, wellies, etc have? Or if you do get olive eggs maybe they will be chalky, as opposed to shiny.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Who is Ruth? [​IMG]

I'm so sad you got rid of your OE's! [​IMG] The chicks I hatched from your OE flock are so pretty. One rooster is a spit'n image of Ford! [​IMG] He is the best free ranger, and loves to dig through the cow poop! [​IMG] I also have a little Black OE boy like the one you pictured. I also have a nice Splash one.

~Aspen

6. jarodw45

jarodw45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    It will work I have a production red/ameraucana pullet that shells out lovely light olive colored eggs. I just hatched a few of her eggs crossed back to my BCM roo. So in about 24 weeks I can tell ya...

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Fluffy puffy - Ruth is a member here on BYC. Ford was hatched from her stock.

It was a tough decision, but I really wanted to work with the barnevelders and didn't have the room to do both.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    It will work I have a production red/ameraucana pullet that shells out lovely light olive colored eggs.

Good to know! I was wonder if this might be the case so I have been spying on my girls to match egg color to the hen. I get a range of colors from very lt brown to a dark brown ( for a reg brown egger, not a marans [​IMG] )​

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Ah, I see. Thank you. [​IMG]

I bet! I was hoping to get somemore eggs from ya later on next year. I just LOVE the OE hens. They're solid black like an Ameraucana, but they have bright sunlight/orange on their heads. SOOO gorgeous!! [​IMG]

~Aspen

10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:Ah, I see. Thank you. [​IMG]

I bet! I was hoping to get somemore eggs from ya later on next year. I just LOVE the OE hens. They're solid black like an Ameraucana, but they have bright sunlight/orange on their heads. SOOO gorgeous!! [​IMG]

~Aspen

Well, I still have the hens. So if you don't mind a barnevelder daddy, I could still send you some eggs.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by