The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Ah, I see. Thank you. [​IMG]

I bet! I was hoping to get somemore eggs from ya later on next year. I just LOVE the OE hens. They're solid black like an Ameraucana, but they have bright sunlight/orange on their heads. SOOO gorgeous!! [​IMG]

~Aspen

Well, I still have the hens. So if you don't mind a barnevelder daddy, I could still send you some eggs.

I might just take you up on that next spring! I sure do love them OE's! [​IMG]

~Aspen

2. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Oh my I am in love with the egg colors. How do I get my hands on a few OE chickens and is there a way to tell how dark the eggs will be? ie comb, ear lobes, leg color, first generation, second generation and so on. Also does feather color have anything to do with color of the eggs because we need a little more white in our flock lol. My daughter wants a few OE birds for egg showing in 4-H

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:No, there's little sign. Comb height/size tells the darkness or brown-ness of the egg in the second gen and forward, that's about it.

As for feather color, honestly, there's sadly very few colors of Olive Eggers out there because most people just cross Black Coppers with blue, wheaten, or duckwing based EE's and Ameraucanas, thus, all you have are OE's that are bearded, feather-legged, and blue or black in color with slight coppering or silver leakage.

There are some Wheatens, Blue Wheatens, and Splash Wheatens out there but finding OE's out there with white is pretty darn rare. 'Tis about as rare as finding OE's that aren't bearded, or that don't have tails.

4. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Quote:No, there's little sign. Comb height/size tells the darkness or brown-ness of the egg in the second gen and forward, that's about it.

As for feather color, honestly, there's sadly very few colors of Olive Eggers out there because most people just cross Black Coppers with blue, wheaten, or duckwing based EE's and Ameraucanas, thus, all you have are OE's that are bearded, feather-legged, and blue or black in color with slight coppering or silver leakage.

There are some Wheatens, Blue Wheatens, and Splash Wheatens out there but finding OE's out there with white is pretty darn rare. 'Tis about as rare as finding OE's that aren't bearded, or that don't have tails.

I saw that cloverleaf has some pretty light americanas. I was the one wanting the light color for my dellie who is the only whitie in the coop but she is more focused on egg color because she wants to do egg competition showing. I didnt even know you could have eggs judged until she showed me

5. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

What to see one????

The white girl on the left is one of my olive eggers she is a cross with a white am and a marans I don't know which was what... she does have one dark feather on her chest but that is it.

[​IMG]

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Pretty girls! Who is the gray/blue on the right?

I have three EE that are white with red leakage. When I cross them with the black ameracaunas, what color is the resulting feathers. The rooster is actually split for lav and wheaten; otherwise he looks EXACTLY like my BC marans just no leg feathers!

7. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:She is a blue rock. I have 2 splash rocks too.

Lav dilutes red and black is all I know. White can be dominate as in my olive egger but that is all my knowledge ....[​IMG] too much to learn!

8. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR

What to see one????

The white girl on the left is one of my olive eggers she is a cross with a white am and a marans I don't know which was what... she does have one dark feather on her chest but that is it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/92428_dsc03630.jpg

She is a beautiful lady. How dark are her eggs?

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:The resulting offspring from your whitish EE x Black Am will either be 100% blue EE's with leakage or 50-100% mostly white EE's with red leakage. Pics of the whitish ones would help.

10. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:What to see one????

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/92428_dsc03630.jpg

She is a beautiful lady. How dark are her eggs?

It is one of the 2 I think the darker prettier one, just found them yesterday

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by