The Olive-Egger thread!

Unfortunately, I put Shelby up for auction. She is driving both me and Rex crazy, plucking out his saddle feathers. That crisply barred pattern draws her in and she can't seem to stop. I have nowhere else suitable for her to live. When I put her in with my Delaware rooster, she flies out with no trouble. When I put her in with the bantams in their covered pen, I'm afraid she'll hurt the little hens since they are too feisty for their own good and want to fight with her. So, I put her up for sale here, hoping in a flock of non-barred birds and a new situation, she'd do better. She lays almost daily, really lovely dark olive eggs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7641142#p7641142

Quote:
Oh! I wish I lived close, as I would love to have Shelby! Have you considered putting pinless peepers on her? I have a leghorn that couldn't stop pulling feathers (everyone's, - not just one breed) and the peepers put a stop to it. Or maybe some kind of netting over the Delaware's pen? She's such a pretty hen (not to mention the beautiful egg!) Good luck with her.

Quote:
Oh! I wish I lived close, as I would love to have Shelby! Have you considered putting pinless peepers on her? I have a leghorn that couldn't stop pulling feathers (everyone's, - not just one breed) and the peepers put a stop to it. Or maybe some kind of netting over the Delaware's pen? She's such a pretty hen (not to mention the beautiful egg!) Good luck with her.

The main flock's pen, where my Delaware rooster rules, is humongous, over 2500 sf, with trees in it. No way to cover. I just can't put that much work into one bird-I'm glad the peepers worked for your hen, but I won't use them myself. I did put her in the main flock this afternoon and for some reason, she couldn't get enough lift-off to get out so she went to roost in there tonight. If no one claims her and she doesn't bother anyone one in that flock, then maybe she can stay in there. Time will tell. She is truly a beautiful bird and I don't want to get rid of her, but she's been stressing me and stressing Rex too much.

ETA: May already have a home for Shelby with a good friend in NC. That would be fabulous!

I now own or am owned by 5 OEs from Wynette and Speckledhen. They conspiraed to get me babies so Wynette sent eggs to Speckledhen and she incubated them. I thought I was picking up 4 new orpington babies but arrived to find 5 beautiful OEs from Wynette's eggs. Three with feathered legs and 2 clean legged and they are absolutely adorable I will get pics later. Cynthia has a couple pics. Thank you again so much Wynette and Cyn I adore them!

Quote:
clap.gif
Glad you are enjoying them!

love.gif
Cetawin!
I haven't been on this thread for awhile. I hatched 25 welsummer x EE olive egger from my own birds last summer. The eggs were such a great speckled olive color that my egg customers bought all but 2 of them for their own farms this year. I'm definately going to hatch more this coming spring. I love OEs!

Colby in KY

They are being cuddlized as I type. Cheyenne has them in training now, each one has been zipped up in her hoodie and carried around the house. hahahaha They will be rotten by tomorrow.

Ok OE experts. I'm wanting ur thoughts on what type of comb these new OEs have. Their dad is a multi generational OE with a big comb and the moms are a combo of my EEs and Ameraucanas. The chicks are around 4-7 days old in the pics. Thanks!!

First pic is of dad when he was just hatched
faac60ca.jpg

Dad now
1877f4e9.jpg

Chick 1
338c94ed.jpg

Chick 2
4b4c3443.jpg

Chick 3
e6144fc3.jpg

Chick 4
f22facd0.jpg