The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm curious about the black guy on the bottom left. I've never seen a comb like that before. Hatched out of an olive green egg. I'm told he is out of a Welsummer/Ameraucana. Is that a walnut comb (basically no comb- just flat pink spot) and do you think he is indeed a he? (7 weeks old) (This chick is SLOW to feather. LOVES to eat. Still no tail feathers to speak of and bare breast. Not the cutest chick I've ever raised. [​IMG] Especially with a bantam white rock frizzle to compete with.)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:They all look like pea combs. Number 3 is just screaming roo already [​IMG]

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Was the ameraucana part a lavenderor a split/lav? I found that with some of my lav am crosses they are not completely dominant for the pea comb. I got mostly single combed chicks when crossing them to marans. Also- I had a couple lav am roos in my foundation birds (sold off as EEs) that ended up with almost a rose comb/pile of mush for a comb after about 5 months. They can be really slow to feather as well- especially boys.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. BarnGoddess01

Quote:Was the ameraucana part a lavenderor a split/lav? I found that with some of my lav am crosses they are not completely dominant for the pea comb. I got mostly single combed chicks when crossing them to marans. Also- I had a couple lav am roos in my foundation birds (sold off as EEs) that ended up with almost a rose comb/pile of mush for a comb after about 5 months.

I have NO clue about the real background. I'm suspicious. I'm thinking EE and not really Ameraucana/Welsummer. No muffs/beard on either chick. One has VERY yellow legs and a pea comb. (The brown one on the bottom right.) The legs on the black one have changed continuously. Yellow at first. Then green with black overlay. Now they look almost white with black overlay. Clearly, I still have a lot to learn about chickens!!!! [​IMG]

(Don't know why but he looked like a roo out of the egg - something about the comb - (and I have learned to trust my instincts) and he's built like a roo but that basically nothing comb with no colour throws me ... )

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:All pea combs except #1. (has a single comb)

And I bet chick #3 is a boy with that comb.

6. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:I have a Rooster with a comb that started out looking like yours. As he grew it puffed up a bit. Not really a walnut comb, just a puffy pea comb. Someone called it a cushion comb. Not sure if that if their made up term or an actual comb type.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cushion combs are a real comb type (Chanteclers have them) But in that case it might just be a Pea x Rose (somewhere back there) or a modified Pea.

8. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:Yeah, I just googled it for images and my Rooster doesn't have a cushion comb. The pic I saw of cushions were smoother. My guy has the 3 rows of peas....just pufferier than the other roos.

9. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    I have a wheaten marans that lays olive eggs and I put four of her eggs under a black olive egger that has been broody for months. I just counted on the calendar and if these eggs hatch I should have halloween babies! My roosters are W/BWA, but they haven't been doing a very good job lately so I'm not even sure if the eggs will hatch!

10. BarnGoddess01

Quote:I have a Rooster with a comb that started out looking like yours. As he grew it puffed up a bit. Not really a walnut comb, just a puffy pea comb. Someone called it a cushion comb. Not sure if that if their made up term or an actual comb type.

Interesting. The comb on this guy shows absolutely NO texture at this point so I am curious to see how it develops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by