The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. admhotel

admhotel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Rome, Ny
    Quote:Don't know if I am reading this wrong or you mispoke, this cross shouldn't make sex-links. [​IMG] The hens need to be barred and the Roo solid color. I am guessing the Hen is a solid color? Like I said I might be missunderstanding what pairing you are using.
    Nice colors on the eggs though, wish my OE eggs looked like them.

2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:Don't know if I am reading this wrong or you mispoke, this cross shouldn't make sex-links. [​IMG] The hens need to be barred and the Roo solid color. I am guessing the Hen is a solid color? Like I said I might be missunderstanding what pairing you are using.
    Nice colors on the eggs though, wish my OE eggs looked like them.

Good catch! The roo is a Sexlink and will not breed true. Normally with a barred roo ALL offspring will be barred BUT he is a Sexlink and 25% will be barred males, 25% barred females and 25% solid females and 25% solid males. So do not cull based on barring you will lose some pullets.

3. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    Dang, I knew that![​IMG] LOL. Got a little too excited huh? So If I take my 25% barred females from this pullet's eggs, and breed back to the barred male, I still won't get reliable SL chicks? What about breeding the barred females to my FCBM (black) roo. I obviously still need some "learnin'" about SLs. Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  4. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:The roos are were the problem lies. They need TWO copies to bar correctly and they don't have it. I think the pullets would be ok. If you use the barred pullets with the FCBM you will get more SL roos [​IMG] If you breed the SL roos to the barred girls you could get some males that bar correct but you might never know which one till you breed them.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Drooling over here!!

~Aspen [​IMG]

6. spunkychickenmomma

spunkychickenmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Morris, OK
    Well, out of 13 Welsummer x lavender Ameracuana hatchlings I got 10 little chipmunks and 3 gorgeous yellow chicks all with puffy cheeks and beards. excited to see how the chipmunks will feather in! [​IMG]

7. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:Fun! Make sure to do a sibling cross of those chicks, and show us the photos!

8. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Speaking of sexing early, I found a fun trick with my Wheaten OE's.

They are from a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana rooster, and a Wheaten Marans hen.

I was able to wing sex them at hatch. The boys had very little wing growth in the first few days, while the pullets had some wing growth at hatch, and they filled in faster.

Since they are wheaten, I have confirmed my theory after just 3 weeks, since you can also color sex them at that point. The suspected boys are all boys, and suspected girls are all girls.

Anybody need 5 wheaten/blue wheaten OE cockerels????

9. spunkychickenmomma

spunkychickenmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Morris, OK
    Quote:Gorgeous eggs! Thanks for sharing!!

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Okay, all you Olive Egger Peepz!! I have about 50 Olive Egger and Easter Egger eggs that I just cannot bare to eat or sell as eating eggs. I've cracked open a few and they have been fertile, but we are going on a trip to Tenneessee in a couple of weeks and I don't want to hatch anything. These eggs are pleading for a chance to be hatched!! If anyone is interested please contact me, I would like to get them shipped off tomarrow morning! Pictures can be seen in the BIN listed in my siggy. Please PM or E-Mail me if interested.

~Aspen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by