The Olive-Egger thread!

i was given two olive eggs. the mothers were marans/ameracana mix. father was a SLW. the chicks came out all black with a white spot on there heads. i thought they were ganna be barred. but now i think not. there soo cute!!! they both are identical. both have single combs.

103601_dscn4304.jpg

103601_dscn4287.jpg

103601_dscn4541.jpg

103601_dscn4595.jpg

103601_dscn4534.jpg

My computer's been down but I can still work my phone! I'm hatching now. Have 7 so far but I just had to share pics of this guy!!

He has a pea comb and I already want to guess boy because I swear he's got 3 rows of peas! Look at that face!!

47583_copy20of20img02883-20120109-0744.jpg

My OE hens all look like this. When they hatched, all the girls were yellow and the one boy was black. I'm guessing they were sex-linked. (Blue Wheaten Am. roo x Mossy Marans hens)

They are with a BCM roo now and I'm incubating 6 of their eggs now....I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Last edited:
My OE hens all look like this. When they hatched, all the girls were yellow and the one boy was black. I'm guessing they were sex-linked. (Blue Wheaten Am. roo x Mossy Marans hens)

They are with a BCM roo now and I'm incubating 6 of their eggs now....I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Gorgeous!!!! So glad I popped in here!

I need to pull photos to post, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever had this happen. I crossed a Blue-Copper Marans roo over blue or splash Ameraucana hens. I had two very dark blues and a blonde chick hatch. I now have a really dark blue, a blue, and another light blue! Has anyone ever had a blonde chick turn blue?!? I didn't think that was possible--could it be that the chick is actually a splash but with so much blue that you just really can't tell it??

So I have hatched a few first generation Olive-Eggers. They are from an Araucana x Marans cross. I am curious if any one else using this combination have had the same thing. The chicks that are rump-less do not seem to have much on the feathered legs. I want rump-less with feathered legs. Anyone else running into this? I have only hatched a few. Not enough to tell if this is what I will get normally Here is my 13 week old cockerel. He is tailed so he will not stick around. He is already crowing and has a solid little body.

Here is my rump-less girl. Very lite on the leg feathers...

So I have hatched a few first generation Olive-Eggers. They are from an Araucana x Marans cross. I am curious if any one else using this combination have had the same thing. The chicks that are rump-less do not seem to have much on the feathered legs. I want rump-less with feathered legs. Anyone else running into this? I have only hatched a few. Not enough to tell if this is what I will get normally Here is my 13 week old cockerel. He is tailed so he will not stick around. He is already crowing and has a solid little body.

Here is my rump-less girl. Very lite on the leg feathers...

Even in Marans you will get some with no feathers. Your best bet would be to use a Marans that is overly feathered on the legs. Maybe even with middle toe feathering. You will lose some of the leg feathering because you are crossing to a non feathered legged bird. If you mate these back to the marans you should get more leg feathering. But like I said even Marans x Marans will throw clean legs....

Back
Top Bottom