The Olive-Egger thread!

My partridge I have had tend to be the most flighty but on the plus side they generally lay the darkest egg of the varieties

Yes, these eggs are dark! She sent some BCM's also, and these Penedesenca are darker! I also love that these are smooth. No speckles on them either..just nice and dark.
Well, as of last night candling, all four are developing nicely. Now I can't wait to see these little ones. Hoping for a couple of girls .. of course.

We hatched this guy out of an Olive Egg- So I guess that makes him 2G. At least that is what the lady who sold us the eggs called it. Any guessing as to what breeds might make him up? We have never had any hens with this coloration before other than a red sexlink maybe. I know it is impossible to tell since we have no info on his parents but I thought it might be fun to guess at it.

We hatched this guy out of an Olive Egg- So I guess that makes him 2G. At least that is what the lady who sold us the eggs called it. Any guessing as to what breeds might make him up? We have never had any hens with this coloration before other than a red sexlink maybe. I know it is impossible to tell since we have no info on his parents but I thought it might be fun to guess at it.

guess at a breed with yellow legs ;-)

Hi all. Great thread!

I picked up my first olive egger chicks this spring. Hatch date 4/29/13 so not laying yet. Blue Ameraucana roo x BCM hens. I have one that I am certain is a black roo. The other two are blue and so far I think they are hens. A few observations I have:

First, the roo was crowing by July 4th so about 9 weeks old which is much younger than any Roos I've had before. He was a doll until the crowing started now he's a pretty big jerk. He managed to get in with my LF SF chicks who are just 2 weeks younger and killed two of the little Roos. My SF Roos are such sweet boys and I'm not used to agressive roosters. So far he respects my big boys but I now fear for my silkie roo.

They grow like wild and eat twice as much as my other breeds.

The hens are the SWEETEST birds in my flock and with my flock of SF's that think they are dogs, that's saying a lot. I really love dealing with the hens. The roo unfortunately is just too aggressive for me and he was my fave of all this springs chicks. I'm trying to place him now in a home that is better set up for a more aggressive roo.

I'll post some pics of my OE babies soon!

Hi all. Great thread!

I picked up my first olive egger chicks this spring. Hatch date 4/29/13 so not laying yet. Blue Ameraucana roo x BCM hens. I have one that I am certain is a black roo. The other two are blue and so far I think they are hens. A few observations I have:

First, the roo was crowing by July 4th so about 9 weeks old which is much younger than any Roos I've had before. He was a doll until the crowing started now he's a pretty big jerk. He managed to get in with my LF SF chicks who are just 2 weeks younger and killed two of the little Roos. My SF Roos are such sweet boys and I'm not used to agressive roosters. So far he respects my big boys but I now fear for my silkie roo.

They grow like wild and eat twice as much as my other breeds.

The hens are the SWEETEST birds in my flock and with my flock of SF's that think they are dogs, that's saying a lot. I really love dealing with the hens. The roo unfortunately is just too aggressive for me and he was my fave of all this springs chicks. I'm trying to place him now in a home that is better set up for a more aggressive roo.

I'll post some pics of my OE babies soon!

Hope you can find a home for him. I have put a few down that are like that.

So my question is if you get the offspring say from a BCM and a EEer and the eggs of the offspring lay a green but not very dark egg should you breed this offspring again to a dark egger like a maran until you receive success?
Yes, typically you'd want to breed the hens back to their dark egg laying father for a darker egg. Or any other dark egg laying rooster would probably be better, to help avoid inbreeding.

Back
Top Bottom