The Olive-Egger thread!

Pics
Thank you so much for the fantastic info. I know this thread is going to be a great resource with the pictures and info when folks want to breed Olive Eggers!

you are most welcome. I learned it all here at BYC, mostly from tadkerson and kev out in Sun City, and I felt like I had been handed a diamond. I am glad to pay it forward.

OH look at those colored eggs:weee:. I have a chance to buy ameraucanas from meyers and mt healthy. Do i better my chances of getting the blue, green and pink eggs if i buy from both hatcheries?? I wish i knew which chicks produced what eggs. Anyone know what i should do?

Last edited:
hens with pea combs from blue laying breeds or crosses usually lay blue or green eggs. Single combed hens from a blue egg laying cross has only a 3% chance of laying blue/green and will most likely lay wite or some degree of tinted egg.

True Ameraucanas are supposed to lay a BLUE egg, not green. Most hatcheries sell Ameraucana crosses, otherwise known as Easter Eggers or EE's. Ameraucanas are only Ameraucanas if they are one of eight or so recognized colors, officially. You can take a buff ameraucana and cross it with a blue ameraucana and no matter how blue the egg and how pretty the bird, the resulting bird is an Easter Egger is my understanding.

I have an EE that lays olive eggs. She is from an EE hen(pea comb) and a white rock roo. I was surpised to see the olive eggs becuase I thought that egg color was determined by the roo.

chickensandpumpkin2008resized.jpg

Here is her olive egg in the middle between a golden comet egg on the left and white rock on the right:

pulleteggs.jpg

I have a red laced blue EE that lays olive green eggs. Here are some mint green EE eggs, a Welsumer egg and then the two olive green eggs.

I just used on of those olive green eggs tonight on my french toast and when I cracked it, it was a beautiful aqua blue on the inside. That was weird, but tasty.

eggs3.jpg

The photo doesn't do the color justice as my camera challenged hubby took them in low light, but they really are a gorgeous olive green.

Hello,
Wow am I glad to find this post. It has alot of info. I have several olive eggers and had a bunch of questions. I am still new to chickens! Last year I got dh to agree to having 8 chickens. Well....now I have 40 something! Dh is always asking what happened to just having 8!

Any way, I have my americana/ easter eggers with cuckoo marans roosters. And I have a few of my olive eggers with my black marans roo. I let one of my friends borrow one of my incubators and I wasn't sure if a pullet hatched out of one of the olive eggs if it would lay olive eggs too. Am I correct in believing that it would also lay olive eggs? I will continue to reread this post!

Thanks so much for this thread! I loved looking at the pictures! What fun!!!! Hope you all have a great weekend!

Back
Top Bottom