The Olive-Egger thread!

I have a question about productivity.

I recently acquired some french black copper marans. They haven't re-started laying yet and the best I can find on marans productivity is that they're not really good layers.

Now, I have an EE egg-machine (half australorp) that takes a day off only every ten to fourteen days! If I put my bcm roo over her, how will that affect the laying of the next generation?

Thanks!

I recently acquired some french black copper marans. They haven't re-started laying yet and the best I can find on marans productivity is that they're not really good layers.

Now, I have an EE egg-machine (half australorp) that takes a day off only every ten to fourteen days! If I put my bcm roo over her, how will that affect the laying of the next generation?

Thanks!
you would have created a cross that would outlay the original Marans but wont be as productive as the EE egg-machine, thats the fact, even if you take into account any Hybrid vigor that may take place they wont lay more than the most prolific parent

Thanks!

you would have created a cross that would outlay the original Marans but wont be as productive as the EE egg-machine, thats the fact, even if you take into account any Hybrid vigor that may take place they wont lay more than the most prolific parent
Penedesencas lay a lot of eggs and so do UofA Blues.

Penedesencas X Cream Legbars are crazy laying machines too.

Not good if you can't protect combs in the winter though.

Penedesencas lay a lot of eggs and so do UofA Blues.

Penedesencas X Cream Legbars are crazy laying machines too.

Not good if you can't protect combs in the winter though.

Yeah, I don't think we have any of those breeds here (nova scotia). I really like the size of the marans - the hens are considerably larger than australorp hens - so I think I'll work with them. I have a BA roo that had red come through so I'm going to use him to maybe up the productivity of the bcms without losing their colour and then breed the offspring back to the bcm roo. But of course I'm also interested in colours and my EE girls are just all-around totally awesome so breeding them will be my main focus ;)

What's a UofA?

Yeah, I don't think we have any of those breeds here (nova scotia). I really like the size of the marans - the hens are considerably larger than australorp hens - so I think I'll work with them. I have a BA roo that had red come through so I'm going to use him to maybe up the productivity of the bcms without losing their colour and then breed the offspring back to the bcm roo. But of course I'm also interested in colours and my EE girls are just all-around totally awesome so breeding them will be my main focus
wink.png

What's a UofA?

University of Arkansas Blues. They are a Blue breed that lays a blue egg.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/624359/blue-egg-layers-from-university-of-arkansas

They would be ok for you--combs are not too large.

University of Arkansas Blues. They are a Blue breed that lays a blue egg.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/624359/blue-egg-layers-from-university-of-arkansas

They would be ok for you--combs are not too large.

I thought it was a university reference! Cool! Don't think I'll be able to get a hold of any, though; apparently importing any kind of livestock, even hatching eggs, is ridiculously difficult. The lady that used to own my bcms actually had her friend smuggle the eggs across the border because no-one in NS was breeding them at the time. Even now, I'm probably one of very few that have the breed! I have seen two bcm roosters advertised for as much as $50 and actually thought about selling my roo. But I've also seen want ads for olive eggers and the people wanting them are willing to pay $$$ so I decided to keep him.

Thanks!
I'd wait and see how the BCM lay. Mine lay much better than I was led to believe and the blue coppers better yet.

Yeah, I don't think we have any of those breeds here (nova scotia). I really like the size of the marans - the hens are considerably larger than australorp hens - so I think I'll work with them. I have a BA roo that had red come through so I'm going to use him to maybe up the productivity of the bcms without losing their colour and then breed the offspring back to the bcm roo. But of course I'm also interested in colours and my EE girls are just all-around totally awesome so breeding them will be my main focus
wink.png

What's a UofA?
Skeffling Farms and there where a few others up there with Black Penedesenca.

Do you have pictures of them right now?

Not all Olive eggers will have crests from them. There is like a 1 in 10 chance that you got a legbar mix and that gene shows. My roo has the color and barring of the CL but no crest. He does have the CL comb though for sure. It has the feathered legs from the Maran as well. He's a pretty boy!
We found her! I was right. She was with my cousin. She is a legbar crossed with a Maran for sure! She is barred with feathered legs. She doesn't have a crest though, and when she was a chick, she looked like one of the barred rocks, so that's how my cousin got her.

Back
Top Bottom