The Olive-Egger thread!

I have a question about productivity.

I recently acquired some french black copper marans. They haven't re-started laying yet and the best I can find on marans productivity is that they're not really good layers.

Now, I have an EE egg-machine (half australorp) that takes a day off only every ten to fourteen days! If I put my bcm roo over her, how will that affect the laying of the next generation?

Thanks!

But if you take one of the sons and cross it back to the mother you should keep the olive color and increase the egg laying of the next generation by a percentage. Since people are clamoring for them and it is hard to get it could be worth going 4 generations to get improvements. Meanwhile improve you Maran line too by only keeping roos from the top laying hen. And keep an eye out on those who can and do ship to Canada. It is some paperwork and some money but not anywhere the level of say importing from Europe.

A week ago I picked up an Olive Egger chick from Meyer Hatchery, along with a Black French Copper Marans and a Dominique. The OE is totally mellow, and much bigger than the other two. She is solid gray, with some feathers starting to come in on her legs. I can't wait to see what she'll look like once she fully matures!

Here's a picture of her from today:

Quote:
sorry to be the Bearer of bad news, but that chick is not, I repeat, Not an EE, thats the Dominique chick... post the pic of the rest of the chicks.., I will let you know which one is your EE chick Edit, the chick's comb appers to be single, so it may actually be a French Cuckoo maran instead, the chick looks barred and a female

Last edited:

Thanks so much for your insight. Here's a quick pic I took of the other two. They are all sweethearts.

A week ago I picked up an Olive Egger chick from Meyer Hatchery, along with a Black French Copper Marans and a Dominique. The OE is totally mellow, and much bigger than the other two. She is solid gray, with some feathers starting to come in on her legs. I can't wait to see what she'll look like once she fully matures!

Here's a picture of her from today:

I think she could be your Olive Egger. If the cross is Cream Legbar rooster x BCM hen then the chicks will have a white head spot and be barred also have a straight comb. If your lucky your OE will develop a crest then you will know for sure.

If you could post a pic of all 3 chicks full body shots that might help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom