The Olive-Egger thread!

I just asked this question on the OE facebook group, what to call OE that are F1 crossed out to another purebred that is not one of the breeds used to produce that particular F1 bird. For example, F1 BCM X CCL bred to an Isbar, etc. I'm calling them F2 because I don't know what is technically correct. I also do BC1 crosses back to the Marans, but about 85% of people don't know what I mean. *sigh*

There's an OE group on Facebook?

Surprise! We just found this adorable teeny tiny egg in our coop. All of our bantams are pure but here we have an olive egg! Any idea what bantam breed lays a speckled green egg? Here it is pictured with a regular bantam egg and a full size egg.

Surprise! We just found this adorable teeny tiny egg in our coop. All of our bantams are pure but here we have an olive egg! Any idea what bantam breed lays a speckled green egg? Here it is pictured with a regular bantam egg and a full size egg.
Super cute! She was obviously a cross of of a blue layer over a brown. Is the egg on the left the same as the pic on the right? It looks more blue there. Maybe just a recessive O gene sneaking though?

possibility is (if you have a full sized Olive Egger) one of your hens laid a wind or fart egg

Last edited:
I don't have any olive eggers...although I am currently crossing a black copper marans roo with ee hens in a different coop. I do have an ee bantam but she normally lays a solid light blue egg. The picture with three eggs doesn't show the color true cause the sunlight. Here's another pic. The full size egg is actually maroon and the smallest egg is a true olive color. It's definitely a "fart" egg from what I have come to learn, but still baffled by the olive color.

Back
Top Bottom