The Olive-Egger thread!

Heres my f3 oe butter cup is her name see very smart pullet

@rich719 "she" looks like a he...
sad.png

I don't have any olive eggers...although I am currently crossing a black copper marans roo with ee hens in a different coop. I do have an ee bantam but she normally lays a solid light blue egg. The picture with three eggs doesn't show the color true cause the sunlight. Here's another pic. The full size egg is actually maroon and the smallest egg is a true olive color. It's definitely a "fart" egg from what I have come to learn, but still baffled by the olive color.
Well that is a stumper... but I have been poking around on the DNA of egg color for awhile now and have found references of pure lined non-blue laying breeds have produced a bird now and then that lays the blue/green egg, no one has a good explanation for this: The O gene is caused by an ancient retrovirus: http://www.futurity.org/surprise-virus-caused-blue-chicken-eggs/

hu.gif

I guess try and see if the color is consistent and which hen?

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/01/how-hen-makes-egg-egg-oddities.html?m=1

Here's a good article about "fairy" eggs that the Chicken Chick shared on facebook today when she got her first "fairy" egg...it covers how egg color happens too, and other egg oddities...

Out of the years I have had chickens, I finally got my first one today. This thing was absolutely tiny, laid by a White Leghorn that usually lays eggs that are too big to fit into a carton. It was egg white only.

The rooster above is the father of the 19 almost 2 week old chicks I hatched last month... The chick at the top shares that pattern on it's wings with most of the other chicks...

The rooster is half oe or ee or I believe americauna was what the sign said when I bought his father who was identical except for the green feet, this roo doesn't have them...the mothers were rir, gold sex link, buff orpington, and oe, ee, or americauna (she lays green eggs).

The 4 chicks that came from green eggs, look just like the parents did as chicks...

So where is the pattern on the other chicks coming from? Not knowing what my original grandroo was a cross of originally kinda makes this a problem...?

The rooster above is the father of the 19 almost 2 week old chicks I hatched last month... The chick at the top shares that pattern on it's wings with most of the other chicks...

The rooster is half oe or ee or I believe americauna was what the sign said when I bought his father who was identical except for the green feet, this roo doesn't have them...the mothers were rir, gold sex link, buff orpington, and oe, ee, or americauna (she lays green eggs).

The 4 chicks that came from green eggs, look just like the parents did as chicks...

So where is the pattern on the other chicks coming from? Not knowing what my original grandroo was a cross of originally kinda makes this a problem...?
It's so hard to tell when they're this young. Wait for their juvie molt, and see what their grown up feathers look like. Then you'll have a better idea. For now, just think of it like another surprise waiting for you!!!

With that grab bag of genetics? It could come from a plethora of places on the gene code!

we used the hawk colored easter eggerse and black coppers and then narrow it down from there with ones that look more black copper to try and get a more uniform look.

Back
Top Bottom