The Olive-Egger thread!

Hatched out 6 OE, F1 babies this weekend. Roos were wheaten, blue wheaten and splash Ameraucana and hens were splash Marans. I got 3 whiteish ones and 3 dark gray ones, 4 with feathered legs. Any guesses on the the colors I'll end up with??

Our first time hatching eggs. 1 OE hatched, but at 4 days old it's almost impossible to tell apart from her BCM sister (hopefully sister anyway.)

If I understand the terminology right... This was laid by a F1 Hen (BCM+Am). This F1 was bred back to a BCM roo to produce this egg. So mine would be an F2 and lay very dark green eggs?

Our first time hatching eggs. 1 OE hatched, but at 4 days old it's almost impossible to tell apart from her BCM sister (hopefully sister anyway.)

If I understand the terminology right... This was laid by a F1 Hen (BCM+Am). This F1 was bred back to a BCM roo to produce this egg. So mine would be an F2 and lay very dark green eggs?

You are right, ShockValue about almost being impossible to tell some of these crosses from the purebreds. That is why it is so important to keep them separate in some way during hatching if possible and then band them. I had 2 blue Olive Egger hens that I had to band so I wouldn't get them mixed up with my blue Easter Egger.
smile.png

[COLOR=4B0082]You are right, ShockValue about almost being impossible to tell some of these crosses from the purebreds. That is why it is so important to keep them separate in some way during hatching if possible and then band them. I had 2 blue Olive Egger hens that I had to band so I wouldn't get them mixed up with my blue Easter Egger.[/COLOR] :)

[COLOR=4B0082] [/COLOR]

I went the craft store and bought plastic mesh #7 and made boxes, first hatch going in right now & working great. Because of all the "holes" humidity was not effected at all

If the BCM roo was the sire of the F1, then it is a BC1(backcross).
If it wasn't the same sire, then it's a new line so it's an F1.

If the BCM roo was the sire of the F1, then it is a BC1(backcross).
If it wasn't the same sire, then it's a new line so it's an F1.

With mixes that aren't a breed, I think it's overly confusing to use purebred terminology. When we breed an F1 cross back to one of the breeds that was a parent bird (but not necessarily the actual parent individual), we call it a BC1. In ShockValue's example, if we were to breed that F1 to any Marans with a dark egg, we would label that chick as BC1. Same if it was bred back to a white Ameraucana instead of a black one, etc. I do agree that with olive eggers only F1 X F1 would be called F2.

ShockValue, in a perfect world you would get a darker olive egg from this mix. In the real world, you have a 50% chance of getting a brown egg. Look back through this thread and find the in-depth OE egg color chart by Steve Neumann on the facebook OE group. Study it and it will answer a lot of questions. Have fun!

I went the craft store and bought plastic mesh #7 and made boxes, first hatch going in right now & working great. Because of all the "holes" humidity was not effected at all

Yours appears to be staying really stiff. Let us know if it softens up after being in there after this first hatch as that is what happened with mine. Not a big deal, but I really loved the crisp lines I had at first hatch!

Went to lockdown today. On third candle I noticed one trying to internally pip so I quit the candling and locked down. ANyone ever seen this before? It was really neat, but scared me a bit as I didn't want to hurt it.

Back
Top Bottom