The Olive-Egger thread!

I bought some F2 OEs from a local lady I asked her what she used for the OE genetics, she said Ameraucanas and Marans. Two started developing crests around a couple weeks old, and I'm pretty certain these guys are not OEs, but they are still cute all the same. I'm trying to figure out what they are mixed with. I suspect Silkie. They all have black (or near black) legs and combs, with feathered shanks. One is the color of a blue copper maran. Any clue what color eggs I should expect? They obviously aren't the OEs I bought.

I hope you guys don't mind me posting on here.

It looks like she may have use cream legbars--they have the blue egg shell gene too and if so they will lay olive colored eggs.

Silkies have 5 toes so if yours do not have 5 toes I would not think silkie genetics. They are too big to be part silkie too.

Aren't your araucana crested over there? They look like an Ara mix to me but I'm in Australia so our aras have crests and muffs. Here is a few pics from this end of the world!

I bought some F2 OEs from a local lady I asked her what she used for the OE genetics, she said Ameraucanas and Marans. Two started developing crests around a couple weeks old, and I'm pretty certain these guys are not OEs, but they are still cute all the same. I'm trying to figure out what they are mixed with. I suspect Silkie. They all have black (or near black) legs and combs, with feathered shanks. One is the color of a blue copper maran. Any clue what color eggs I should expect? They obviously aren't the OEs I bought. I hope you guys don't mind me posting on
...looks like Elvis

It looks like she may have use cream legbars--they have the blue egg shell gene too and if so they will lay olive colored eggs.

Silkies have 5 toes so if yours do not have 5 toes I would not think silkie genetics. They are too big to be part silkie too.

That's good to know. No fifth toes here, so not silkie. I wish I could find her number to ask her, but she didn't mention Araucanas or Legbars. I bought four straight run chicks, and it looks like I lucked out with only one roo. They should start laying around August. I can't wait.

I bought some F2 OEs from a local lady I asked her what she used for the OE genetics, she said Ameraucanas and Marans. Two started developing crests around a couple weeks old, and I'm pretty certain these guys are not OEs, but they are still cute all the same. I'm trying to figure out what they are mixed with. I suspect Silkie. They all have black (or near black) legs and combs, with feathered shanks. One is the color of a blue copper maran. Any clue what color eggs I should expect? They obviously aren't the OEs I bought.

I hope you guys don't mind me posting on here.

Those birds look fun! I love the crest and there is a lot going on in the feathers. Subtle but beautiful.
Aren't your araucana crested over there? They look like an Ara mix to me but I'm in Australia so our aras have crests and muffs. Here is a few pics from this end of the world!

Fun pics. I love hatching although I am winding down. I am determined not to hatch in July and August, but don't hold me to it! At that point we will have so much going on on the farm and egg production will be in full swing- I SHOULD be doing marketing....

Still one more month of hatching ahead with staggered sets. My F2s should be laying in August and I do hope I got the color better. I really want a wonderful olive.

Hi. I am fairly new to chickens ..I now have:
2 light Brahma hens
2 ee hens lay a mint green egg
1 splash maran rooster
2 splash maran hens
1 blue maran hen
And 1 auracauna smooth face roo

What crosses can I or should I try to get?

I have a quick question. In making olive eggers would it matter if you cross a bcm rooster with EE hens verses crossing bcm hens with a blue Americana rooster? Would the end results be the same?

Back
Top Bottom