The Olive-Egger thread!

I am currently using fine hay as bedding in my coop, I read somewhere that this will give my chickens respritory problems. Is that true? And what does everyone else use for bedding. I have a big coop so it needs to be cheap. Please help
I use play sand. More cost to start with but you can scope the poop with a leaf rake and a shovel. I add a few bags from time to time

I use shavings(wood-soft) in our coop, easy to clean and easy for them to scratch through, they have dirt outside, but inside the shavings!

For the person looking for a dark egg breed that stays dark longer, these are Partridge Penedesencas, about 12 weeks old.

They would make beautiful OEs if crossed with a Wheaten AM

For the person looking for a dark egg breed that stays dark longer, these are Partridge Penedesencas, about 12 weeks old.

Thank you. Will definitely be looking at this breed for next year! Do you ship chicks?

I recently aquired some black tailed buff marans that came from extremely dark eggs. Hopefully they will lay the same as the mommas did. Just have to play the waiting game now for another couple of months.

Thank you. Will definitely be looking at this breed for next year! Do you ship chicks?

I recently aquired some black tailed buff marans that came from extremely dark eggs. Hopefully they will lay the same as the mommas did. Just have to play the waiting game now for another couple of months.
They came from Our Fly Babies. They do ship chicks and have some of the best Partridge Rocks in the US.

Ron can you email these 2 pics as well?
Then hen is a good shot of a teenage that we can use. The rooster too though I have quite a few rooster pictures from Jeff from his rooster that was killed

Quote: Ditto. Changing to sand was great. A piece of hardware cloth woven through an old pitch fork works as a giant kitty litter scoop then just dump it into the compost bin. It drains well, easy to clean, cheap and no more soggy shavings. It worked so well in my main coop, that I have done them all now. I still have shavings in their nesting boxes.

?
[/IMG][/IMG] This is one of my OE chicks ! A cross from Bcm roo and Ameraucana's that carry two blue genes. I'm curious about this chick born 6/4, the comb has 3 rows the outer 2 very subtle. I know the center comb being taller indicates male, but this chick doesn't look like a roo at 8 weeks. Am I mistaken? If it is a Pullet then am I looking at brown eggs? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your input.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom