The Olive-Egger thread!

I have a question about olive eggers. I know you breed a blue egg layer and a dark layer breed. And that the 2nd generation would be the really dark eggs. But what I don't know is, if you have an f2 OE Hen and an F2 OE roo and breed them, will you continue to get olive layers?

I have a question about olive eggers. I know you breed a blue egg layer and a dark layer breed. And that the 2nd generation would be the really dark eggs. But what I don't know is, if you have an f2 OE Hen and an F2 OE roo and breed them, will you continue to get olive layers?
Maybe, depends on what DNA the pullets get... you could get any of all 4 possablities... white, brown, blue or green

yes those are Easter eggers that are sold my most hatcheries, if you want true ameracannas you might have to go through a breeder. some hatcheries if you as for specific, they might carry the blue and the wheaten color for true americannas they are a little bit more expensive though

The genetics stuff makes my head spin....but olive eggers is something I want to try someday.

Wonders if anyone has used Cream Legbars and/or Welsummers in an Olive Egger project?

The genetics stuff makes my head spin....but olive eggers is something I want to try someday.

Wonders if anyone has used Cream Legbars and/or Welsummers in an Olive Egger project?

Yes both of those breeds get used to make olive eggs. Im not sure if those 2 have been crossed together specifically though.

I have cream legbar and Marans and I plan to cross them eventually

I am also going to be making a small pen of Black Copper Marans and Cream Legbars for Sexlink Olive Eggers.
I didn't even think about the sexlinking of this cross...BONUS! I got one strikingly dark blue CCL egg as an "extra" in some other shipped eggs...and it hatched out a pullet...and I have BCM and BBS copper Marans. Perfect. I tried the Ameraucanas but had nothing but bad luck (all the "pullets" I purchased from a breeder were cockerels!). I don't care if they are single combed (in fact I prefer it). The sexlinking is a big bonus for selling OE to others. They can leave sooner!

Yes both of those breeds get used to make olive eggs. Im not sure if those 2 have been crossed together specifically though.

I have cream legbar and Marans and I plan to cross them eventually

I didn't even think about the sexlinking of this cross...BONUS!  I got one strikingly dark blue CCL egg as an "extra" in some other shipped eggs...and it hatched out a pullet...and I have BCM and BBS copper Marans.  Perfect.  I tried the Ameraucanas but had nothing but bad luck (all the "pullets" I purchased from a breeder were cockerels!).  I don't care if they are single combed (in fact I prefer it).  The sexlinking is a big bonus for selling OE to others.  They can leave sooner!

So a CL with a Marans is auto sexing ? Does it matter if it's a black, blue or splash Marans?
I thought for the CL to retain auto sexing it had to be bred to a Crele or barred based bird

Back
Top Bottom