The Olive-Egger thread!

One of my ''probably isn't going to hatch'' WM X EE eggs is piping this morning!
jumpy.gif

Each olive egger will look different since they are a mixed breed. The goal is the egg color, not what they will look like. You cross a really dark egg layer with a blue egg layer. The key to the olive color is the really dark chocolate colored egg, like a marans, wellsummer, etc. You can use ameraucana or cream legbar for the blue color. If you use an EE, then you have a 50/50 chance at getting a brown egg layer because they are also a mix.
Well, the lady I got them from had BCM roosters x3 I think over Ameraucana hens for the first gen. Then crossed back to the BCM again for the eggs that I hatched. She showed me the green eggs from the first cross and they were green but kind of light. The eggs I got for my incubator were fairly darker so I'm hoping when these get to the ripe age it'll be even darker. I'm fairly certain all 3 are pullets using the feather sexing method but I guess we'll see in a few weeks. I'm not certain that method applies to them but I sure hope so!

This is my 3 week OE chick, it's twice the size of the RIR it hatched with. I know it's early but if anyone sees any tail tail signs of a cockerel let me know. Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, this can be true, but I have an F2 olive egger with a pea comb that lays the most boring brown eggs you've ever seen. We still love her though! You can't depend on the comb (or ear lobes) to predict egg color anymore.

I have a couple of those! You wouldn't think so with those pea combs but the proof is in the nest boxes.

I am looking for a breeding age rooster for my oliver egger hens. Does anyone have a Marans, Ameraucana, Oliver or Easter Egger rooster within 50 miles of where NC, TN, and GA come together? If you do please PM me.

Yes, this can be true, but I have an F2 olive egger with a pea comb that lays the most boring brown eggs you've ever seen. We still love her though! You can't depend on the comb (or ear lobes) to predict egg color anymore.
Yep, you need to confirm in each generation that the pea comb and the blue gene are linked otherwise you never know what you will get. In the F1 cross, if any of the chicks lay brown or white, the stock that produced them wasn't 'pure' in terms of having 2 blue egg genes/pea combs. The first cross is the test to see if the genes are linked, if any lay brown or white, you cannot breed the roos from that cross because you wont know what they have. The hens that lay blue or green and have pea combs should be safe to breed if the cross Ameraucana x straight comb non-blue laying breed.

I am as much as 5 generations out from my original cross of Blue Ameraucana crossed to White Leghorn. All of my stock so far have continued to lay blue or green eggs selecting for pea combs. I have been fortunate so far that the 95% chance of them being inherited together has been in my favor, eventually that 5% chance will get me
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom