The Olive-Egger thread!

Once or twice a week someone lays an olive egg with lavender-gray spots like this one (on the right). Also, about 2 or 3 times a week I get an egg with some brown spots around one end of the egg and almost none on the other end. Do you think they all could come from the same pullet?

It's really hard to say...time may tell, one fine day when all those pullets lay on the same day so you can compare.
Coating and bloom color can vary some, speckles can vary more...but shape of egg usually remains pretty consistent.
I've had a few groups of birds I could follow pretty easily....but now I have too many, and too many that are similar to bother...it'll drive you nuts!
Short of keeping birds separate all the time, or using trap nests, it's pretty hard to follow the variations of one birds eggs.

It's really hard to say...time may tell, one fine day when all those pullets lay on the same day so you can compare.
Coating and bloom color can vary some, speckles can vary more...but shape of egg usually remains pretty consistent.
I've had a few groups of birds I could follow pretty easily....but now I have too many, and too many that are similar to bother...it'll drive you nuts!
Short of keeping birds separate all the time, or using trap nests, it's pretty hard to follow the variations of one birds eggs.

X2
Right now I'd be happy to get ANY eggs! Molting seems to be winding down so there hasn't been any eggs for over a week (in spite of Feather Fixer feed) and the two pullets at 22 weeks haven't started laying yet. Guess I have to go to the grocery store. :(

X2
Right now I'd be happy to get ANY eggs! Molting seems to be winding down so there hasn't been any eggs for over a week (in spite of Feather Fixer feed) and the two pullets at 22 weeks haven't started laying yet. Guess I have to go to the grocery store.
sad.png
Depending on what breeds you have, you may not see many eggs until January because of low light. Adding light can get them laying again but not as much as spring and early summer production.

Most breeds used to make OEs are not winter layers.

Note: a lot of breeds will lay through the first winter, then molt the second fall and not lay the second and subsequent winters.

Last edited:
@QueenMisha I sent you a personal email..... Here are a few pictures of the French Marans x Ameraucana mix's half siblings from the same breeder. 5 out of the 8 half sisters started laying eggs only in the last month and we're already getting some nice big Olive eggs. half brothers half sister Layer of big Olive eggs half sister - laid a blue fart egg the other day LOL
Who's the breeder?

Depending on what breeds you have, you may not see many eggs until January because of low light. Adding light can get them laying again but not as much as spring and early summer production.

Most breeds used to make OEs are not winter layers.

Note: a lot of breeds will lay through the first winter, then molt the second fall and not lay the second and subsequent winters.

:D Happy to report that one hen has started to lay again! I'm not set up for supplemental light, so I just have to go along with nature.

I have one of those blue Cockerels but alas no Marans
I hatched the Marans late in the summer and they have just started laying very dark brown eggs. The cross should make a very nice Olive colored eggs. I also have a couple of Penedesenca hens that are still of laying age and those will make very pretty eggs too when crossed with the UofA blue egg layer.

My guy is an F-1 olive egger I do have 1 unrelated F-1 pullet
maybe I should look at getting a few marans to add to my flock
Marans are much easier to get than Penedesenca. Penedesenca roosters have very big combs but would still work for you in Washington state Unless your are in the Eastern part that gets cold in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom