The Olive-Egger thread!

Does anyone have pics of a Meyer legbar x welsummer cross? They say in their magazine that they have two different lines, one is legbar x welsummer and the other is maran x ameraucana. I think I have two of each and I'm trying to see what my male might turn out to look like.

@lablover
I got three from Meyer. Two looked like chipmunks (about what a welsummer looks like as a chick) & one is black like my Maran. Very cute. I don't have any recent pics just from when they were days old. I'll try to nab some
1f44d-1f3fc.png
they are five weeks old now

ooh! i have a meyer welsummer x (something). she's got a black head and no crest (or muffs). i'm confused by her, though i think she's pretty. i'm actually down for a guessing game as to what she's mixed with because i can't figure out how on earth a legbar has a black head.

def not a marans with those feather free yellow legs.

edit: she's 5 weeks old today.

Last edited:
@pioneerchick816, yep mine were chipmunks too, and one is a male. They're about 5 weeks old now too and those two have crest feathers. So cute! My other two: one black with feathered legs, one blue with muffs and a beard.

My two welsummer crosses do look like kategreen's chick, except with brown heads

@hyzenthlay thanks for the pic!! She's beautiful! Super excited that mine have crests
1f602.png

@hyzenthlay she's gorgeous and looked a lot like mine in as a baby and now. you make me so excited to see how she turns out. also: her eggs are a great shade.

hoping for a little more crest from her, but i'll take what i can get.

@elliesaurus , @lablover , @kategreen , and @pioneerchick816 , thanks! :) I am really pleased with how she turned out! Of course Meyer didn't have any pics of the adult OEs on their site, and the few pictures of this cross I'd seen elsewhere weren't that flattering, so I wasn't expecting her to be such a pretty hen. I was worried she'd have a straggly half crest, but I like the little hint of pouf she has, nothing too crazy. And her eggs are truly olive, a very nice shade. I wasn't sure how dark the Meyer Welsummer eggs were, so I was worried the eggs would be light, more like an easter egger, but they are real olive.

Also, the males of this cross from Meyer turn out very nice, too. The first one I ordered turned out to be a cockerel, so we had to find him a new home (no roosters allowed where I live), but he was very handsome and seemed to have a good temperament--shy of humans, but good with the hens. Unfortunately, as an F1 cross, you can't be sure his babies would be OEs, but I sure did wish I could keep him and try to hatch some out! Here he is (in reverse chronological order). He wasn't fully mature in these pics, about 5 months at the oldest, but he was filling out nicely and was very striking. :)

This is him with his favorite girl, a Meyer Black Copper Marans hatch mate:

You can't really tell it in these pics, but all his black was iridescent green. His red and copper were very bold, and his legs were such a striking bright yellow. He did crow a lot, though...
hmm.png
But he had a nice voice. :)

Back
Top Bottom