The Olive-Egger thread!

4/10/2020, 100 % hatch under a broody. Penedesenca roo x 2 Starlight Green Egger, EE and OE. If the genetic thing I've read is right, that the pullets get their feather color from the rooster, and cockerels get their color from the hen, I think I have three cockerels here ("Yay 100% hatch! Oh no, maybe three roos!"). The SGE chicks being the red, the white with three spots, and the EE's chick is the fluffy chipmunk. Penedesenca is chipmunk color as chick, one is chipmunk like he was, the other chipmunk is EE marked on the head. Hopefully these have the Penedesenca's genetics (the one for sure! the hen I am guessing is a BCMxEE, she was BCM color and fluffy as a chick), at the point I put them under the broody it had only been about two weeks the parents had been together.
1587143031954.png

I got 6 of these chicks advertised as olive Eggers from our local farm store that I believe gets their chicks from Hoover’s? They are 2 1/2 weeks old now I believe. I’m just curious if anyone has had any experience as to what they actually are bred from and if they actually will lay olive colored eggs? A few seem to have crests developing. Also all have a yellow spot on their heads. The other chipmunk colored chicks were advertised as Americans which I assume are EE? Sorry I’m new and trying to guess what these pretty chicks will grow up to be? 😆
3D2BD8CE-9F30-4CBA-B324-AA05DB90C7AE.jpeg
65FE7D07-6909-4562-A5D4-010E0B067A69.jpeg
26E7C3E0-BEF3-4C8D-A7FA-29D423F2B1DF.jpeg
917FC120-59F4-44A0-973C-6B3ACF5668CB.png

from our local farm store that I believe gets their chicks from Hoover’s?
Call farm store ask them where the chicks came from,
then go to hatchery website and take a look.

A few seem to have crests developing.
Sure looks like it, pretty early tho, my CLB crosses didn't show crests until head feathers came in.

Photo from 4/26/2020, This is Three Spot. I noticed something really interesting about him, look at the comb, that is more like a buttercup comb. Neither Penedesenca had combs like that when they were chicks, the carnation in the back developed later.
His parentage is Penedesenca roo x starlight green egger. SGE I read is a mix of a Prairie bluebell egger (which itself was created by crossing Araucanas and White Leghorns), and "a brown egg layer". I am thinking a RIR.
I am really curious to see how this one turns out!

Attachments

• IMG_8456 (2).JPG
    IMG_8456 (2).JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 23
First Olive egg laid from a chicken I raised. blue Marans over Araucana
View attachment 2085915View attachment 2085916

This blows my mind, you use an opposite pairing than I do but the offspring look similar!

My roo is a Blue Ameraucana and the hen is a Black Copper Maran. I have 3 colors of offspring from them black, a charcoal color and a lighter blue. This picture is the parents and the charcoal hen they produced!
20200523_232939.jpg

Hi! Is "she," a she? My assumption has been yes but she made a real "he" like noise yesterday! Is "she," OE, and if so what over what makes this barring?? Around 11 weeks.... Your expert opinions are greatly appreciated? Thanks :frow
IMG_7964.JPG
IMG_7965.JPG
IMG_7970 (2).JPG
IMG_7967.JPG

Hi! Is "she," a she? My assumption has been yes but she made a real "he" like noise yesterday! Is "she," OE, and if so what over what makes this barring?? Around 11 weeks

She...comb would be much redder by now if male.
Noise you hear may be the 'honking' stage between peeps and clucks.
Voice change.

Back
Top Bottom