The Olive-Egger thread!

My little lavender olive-egger is extra fluffy. There is some suggestion it is the shredder gene, but I think it is cute. Can the shredder gene be desirable when it occurs in moderation? it is almost like she is half-silkie.

Copper Marans (black split to lavender) x Black Ameraucana (split to lavender)

Turing-4.5weeks.jpg

I know this thread has not had a lot of activity lately. Just got this little lady today.
Someone I knew was unable to keep her, her siblings all were killed by a dog and she was the only one left. She is 10 weeks old, looks to be what some hatcheries are calling a Partridge Olive Egger (Welsummer/Cream Leg bar cross). Hoping to see what shade of olive green others with this cross have gotten. 😊
Aiya1.jpg

Well assuming my Olive Eggers mature correctly and do produce green eggs, and the blue egg layers, brown egg layers develop well. I am hoping we will have a couple young roosters to choose from to work toward a sustainable flock… will be interesting. To see how the breeds we ordered mature

Well depends on EE roo genetics… your green layer has brown genes and blue genes = green eggs, the Amerucana if she lays blue should have at least 1 blue gene and either another blue gene or white gene, if she lays a more green egg then figure 1 blue, 1 brown (brown genes way more comp,ex than that but keep it simple for sanity reasons)… so you should have then idea of what the hens contribute… now the rooster…

You will have to breed him to them to see… he could carry all blue genes, blue and white, blue and brown, all brown or all white… depends a bit on his line, like the hens in my picture are what people call EE but laid beautiful blue eggs I would be pretty confident a rooster from the same hatchery would have good blue genes…. But my first EE ages ago laid an ugly pale green, different hatchery so I would consider a rooster from them back then a total guess on what he would carry genetically.

So let’s assume though your EE has at least 1 blue gene… then you could expect from the hens, pullets capable of laying blue, green, possibly brown or even white eggs depending on his second gene if not blue… but if you luck out and he is double blue you could get blue and green laying pullets.

Breeding the birds is the only way to know for sure. I hope this helps.

PS if he is double blue egg gene bird, if he is paired with a brown egg laying hen her Pullets will produce Olive Eggers (1 brown, 1 blue gene).

Back
Top Bottom