The ONE pest I didn't prepare for.

My mom swears my dawn and water too. Kills the same as fleas she says. May be a much safter alternative than heavy pesticides? And cheaper. Worth a try.
This is what we use to kill hornets, wasps, etc. Works like a charm. The way it works is the soap coats their body so that they can't breathe. They will just fall right off the nest onto the ground and suffocate.

Instead of using a pesticide like Raid or some other poison, I use 8-in-1 Mite and Lice spray. It is made specifically made to spray directly on birds. I was a wildlife rehabber for decades and I used it safely on every species of bird, from juveniles to adults. It has the added advantage of taking care of pretty much any bug you spray it on. I use it small aggressive yellow jacket type wasps we have here. I knock down the nest and spray the spot where the nest was. It completely discourages them from re-nesting in that area. Works wonders and won't harm your chickens! If you spray the wasp itself, it will die but I try not to spray them - I don't want to kill them, just encourage them to move somewhere they will be less likely to feel they have to defend from me. I won't get stung and they get to fulfill their role in nature. It's a win/win. Good luck!

Will wasps hurt the chicks? I leave wasp nests up. They help control the fly population. Haven’t had any issues, giving them space.
I leave them up too, as long as they are not aggressive. A lot of paper wasps are actually pretty docile, and yes, they are good for getting rid of flies and various pesky larvae, along with being good pollinators.

If you want to get rid of the nest, you can spray with dish detergent and water.

A half cup of gasoline splashed up on the nest kills them in seconds. They will just drop to the ground. The gas evaporates quickly although I would pick up any dead wasps before the chicks go to them. A good spray of ether will kill them too with zero hydrocarbons left.

If you want to trap them a good bait is lacquer or lacquer thinner. When I spray cabinets during the spring to fall you have to watch for the drunk wasps, they love the spray booth when you are spraying, fly in wobble around a bit, then fall down drunk. If you are lucky not on your head or down the back of your shirt. Yellow jackets, red wasps, they all love the smell of lacquer.

when i taught science and wasps came around the outdoor lunch tables, I had all the kids put a tiny bit of their lunch into a place on the table as a gift to the wasps s. They loved watching the wasps eat the meats and fruits while, they - the kids - ate their lunches too... No one got hurt (kids nor wasps) all ate peacefully and all went their own way after lunch.... I SUGGEST YOU MAKE A PLACE TO FEED THE WASPS away from your coops... win-win-win every life is needed on our planet to keep the balance of nature in harmony. DON'T KILL now and boo hoo later....

Paper wasps are nesting in my coop. I knocked the nest down but they are hanging out in the rafters. I thought with no nest they would leave overnight. It is not a large coop. What can I do to get rid of them? My babies are 5 weeks old and I wanted to give them some outdoor time in their coop today.
Spray and leave the doors and windows open for a bit.

There are fake nests that you can put up that will help keep the wasps from building in there. It seems that they won't build a nest by an existing nest ...
We never knock down a nest after spraying for that reason. It seems to work too.

One site I looked at said to spray with soap and water ...
A fake nest is a good idea. Spray, and then put up a fake nest.

Back
Top Bottom