The ONE pest I didn't prepare for.

Will wasps hurt the chicks? I leave wasp nests up. They help control the fly population. Haven’t had any issues, giving them space.
Idk if they'd hurt the chicks, but they'd hurt me! Lol. Only good wasp is a dead one to me. And bees unfortunately. I don't do stinging pests at all! Besides the fact im allergic, as are my kids..

My mom swears my dawn and water too. Kills the same as fleas she says. May be a much safter alternative than heavy pesticides? And cheaper. Worth a try.
This is what we use to kill hornets, wasps, etc. Works like a charm. The way it works is the soap coats their body so that they can't breathe. They will just fall right off the nest onto the ground and suffocate.

Will wasps hurt the chicks? I leave wasp nests up. They help control the fly population. Haven’t had any issues, giving them space.
I leave them up too, as long as they are not aggressive. A lot of paper wasps are actually pretty docile, and yes, they are good for getting rid of flies and various pesky larvae, along with being good pollinators.

If you want to get rid of the nest, you can spray with dish detergent and water.

I am seeing info the chicks will eat them. I got stung by one last autumn and I was 100% positive I was saying calmly to my husband, "go get me baking soda, ice, and the first aid kit that is on the table".

My husband and other witness all confirm was was actually coming out of my mouth was a string of expletives that would make a sailor blush. F...f...f-ity f. F-ing f...f. All the while I was getting more and more angry that he wasn't complying with my obviously clear and precise instructions and was instead laughing at me.

As a person severely allergic to wasps I have had to learn a lot about them.

The most effective way to kill a nest is with a foaming pesticide that you spray directly into the hole at the bottom of the nest. This needs to be done at night when the majority of the wasps would be there. Even at night, have an escape plan ready.

Soap and water does kill individual ones but it would be difficult to get enough into the nest to be effective. Peppermint is an alternative if they are just setting up the nest but I found if ineffective once they were established.

I do use the fake paper nests but they have to be put up very early in the spring before the wasps have built their nests. Wasps ignored them the first years because they had already moved into my siding and eaves. As soon as I see the first wasp around my house I put them up.

If you destroy a colony in a nest, leave the empty nest in place. It then serves the same purpose as a fake one. I have an impressive, empty one in my coop and no other wasps have ever moved in.

Wasps are a beneficial part of the ecosystem but they have lots of other places to live other than my house, sheds and coop.

A half cup of gasoline splashed up on the nest kills them in seconds. They will just drop to the ground. The gas evaporates quickly although I would pick up any dead wasps before the chicks go to them. A good spray of ether will kill them too with zero hydrocarbons left.

If you want to trap them a good bait is lacquer or lacquer thinner. When I spray cabinets during the spring to fall you have to watch for the drunk wasps, they love the spray booth when you are spraying, fly in wobble around a bit, then fall down drunk. If you are lucky not on your head or down the back of your shirt. Yellow jackets, red wasps, they all love the smell of lacquer.

Paper wasps are nesting in my coop. I knocked the nest down but they are hanging out in the rafters. I thought with no nest they would leave overnight. It is not a large coop. What can I do to get rid of them? My babies are 5 weeks old and I wanted to give them some outdoor time in their coop today.
fill a large spray bottle with 2 cups water, 1 tsp dish detergent, 50 drops of peppermint oil. spray the nest.. they're dead! you can also buy a fake wasp nest and hang near the coop. wasps will actually think there are wasps nesting and will leave.

Paper wasps are nesting in my coop. I knocked the nest down but they are hanging out in the rafters. I thought with no nest they would leave overnight. It is not a large coop. What can I do to get rid of them? My babies are 5 weeks old and I wanted to give them some outdoor time in their coop today.
in a spray bottle 2 cups warm water, 1 tsp dish detergent, 50 drops of peppermint oil. spray the nest, they're dead! hang a fake wasp nest near the coop. wards off nest builders as they think wasps are already there!

Back
Top Bottom