The PERFECT egg candler! Great for ALL eggs! All for around $5!!

RoosterRoo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
PA
I just made this a few minutes ago and it works GREAT with all the eggs I have!

Materials needed:
Harbor Freight LED flashlight $0.99-$1.99 (Dollar store may have very similar LED flashlights)
1" piece of 3/4" PVC coupler $0.35
Super Glue $1.99

Total cost= ~$5

Take the piece of PVC and sand it down pretty good so it is nice and soft. Make sure the ends are true and flat! Take that piece of PVC and run a little bead of Super Glue on the flat of one end and center it on the top of the flashlight and PRESS it on there for a good minute! The Super Glue melts the PVC and makes it adhere better and also by pressing it hard, it makes a small groove for the lip of the flashlight to sit in. If you want, for added security, run a bead of Super Glue or hot glue on the outside mating surface.

Keep in mind it is 7am here and there are no lights on besides what light is coming through the open windows. It is NOT dark in here at all so just imagine if it was dark like it is said to be when candling eggs. This way you don't have to wait until it is time to go to bed to peep on the chicks! }:)

Keep an eye out as I am ALWAYS making new things!! ;)

Hope this helps! ;)

This is a Quail egg waiting to go in the incubator (Currently in the basement)

This is a Jumbo egg from the fridge

Last edited:
Version 1.1 already. LOL. I didn't like the loss of light in the piece of PVC so I took a small piece of heat duct tape and lined the inside of the PVC piece with it. Now there is NO light loss!!

}:)

Great idea! I usually just hold the eggs and the flashlight but this is much easier. Will definitely use for my next hatch.

Great idea! I usually just hold the eggs and the flashlight but this is much easier. Will definitely use for my next hatch.

Thank you ;) After the first time doing it this way I am sure you will not do it the old way again! lol

wow!!!!! great idea i love it . looks just perfect too :) great job on it. thanks for the support in watching my youtube video too :)
Thanks! It seemed a bit awkward the way you were wrapping your pointer finger around the egg to conceal the light so I came up with the idea. Not to mention looking at many egg lights and figuring I could make it cheaper..lol..
caf.gif

Nice! My husband will be shocked when I actually ask to go to Harbor Freight, lol!
I think that is every mans dream! I would already be in the car driving if my wife asked me to go to HF!!
wee.gif

I was at Lowes already this morning and I have another cheap project in the making. I should be close to having it done later today! Lets just say it will save some money compared to the HB/LG egg turners! Will cost about $10!!
yesss.gif

Last edited:
Also if for any reason you start making these and sell them let me know and i can make a video on my channel on your idea and show others you have these available and they can contact you to buy them. people like buying and supporting other's ideas to help make a little money to buy food for their pets so keep this in mind thanks .

Also if for any reason you start making these and sell them let me know and i can make a video on my channel on your idea and show others you have these available and they can contact you to buy them. people like buying and supporting other's ideas to help make a little money to buy food for their pets so keep this in mind thanks .

I was thinking of making them but ANYONE can make their own.. It is not that hard to do. Besides, for me to make them and ship out it wouldn't be cost worthy when you can buy them for around $20+ from stores.

Back
Top Bottom