Candling brown eggs after 7 days

You guys are awesome. Its always nice to know you're not alone in your struggles even if it is a first world problem. Love the idea of using an egg carton and handling them that way, I just had a plate with a towel on it. I may need a pencil to mark the good and bad once I candle or a basket for bad. I will try a cardboard cover too, to focus the light better and wait it out until the 14 day mark while smell checking the vent hole for anything suspicious. I was getting pretty discouraged last night as it seemed like a lot were not viable.

Anyone know if I smell something bad, is it easy to tell which one(s) its coming from?
Has anyone else had an egg blow? Does that ruin the whole lot?

~ Get chickens the said...they're super easy...

You guys are awesome. Its always nice to know you're not alone in your struggles even if it is a first world problem. Love the idea of using an egg carton and handling them that way, I just had a plate with a towel on it. I may need a pencil to mark the good and bad once I candle or a basket for bad. I will try a cardboard cover too, to focus the light better and wait it out until the 14 day mark while smell checking the vent hole for anything suspicious. I was getting pretty discouraged last night as it seemed like a lot were not viable.

Anyone know if I smell something bad, is it easy to tell which one(s) its coming from?

I have not had an egg blow. I checked my broodies eggs and I could not smell the two rotten ones at all. They did not explode tho and that was at day 25. I did notice the difference in weight between the last egg that she hatched and those that did not. The ones that didn't hatch where significantly heavier than the one that hatched.

most of the time a rotten egg will be 'clear' and many times they 'weep' .. so, i suggest a powerful little rechargeable led flashlight on ebay, 12 bucks or so ... candle from the side, not the end .. day 10 is a good day to candle .. your looking for obviously clear eggs, you dont need to see movement or veins, if theres a dark mass theres something developing ... if its clear compared to the others toss it ... also if the shell appears to have moist or white little crusty substance spots all over it, thats weeping and bad also .. so ultimately you dont need to candle everyday and have an anxiety attack, you just need to get rid of clear eggs at the halfway point and leave them alone till they hatch .. easy peasy ..

I hatch eggs for someone else at times. Well the first batch I did was dirty. I made the mistake of not candling before I set them ... Well on I think day 2? Maybe day 3, but I candle early and don't think I had yet,. I had one explode... It stunk so bad!!!! I had to take all eggs out of my incubator, I threw out ones that got stuff on them. Then had to clean the incubator and get it up and running again. Still had a good hatch.

Now I will say that is not normal!!! I think he left them in the nest boxes, one got cracked but not seen to the naked eye. Sat there starting to go bad. Then once heated it made it worse and exploded. I have had quitters I left in for a while to be sure. Clears I left to be sure. Never had a problem.

And it may have smelt before but only being on day 2 I wasn't smelling the incubator.... Lol

What if, on, say, Day Ten, you don't see veins but the blob inside is free-floating? Is that a quitter? Or an infertile that never got started, or what? We called them floaters and threw them out. Was that the right thing to do?

What if, on, say, Day Ten, you don't see veins but the blob inside is free-floating? Is that a quitter? Or an infertile that never got started, or what? We called them floaters and threw them out. Was that the right thing to do?
was it a light or dark blob? If light most likely the yolk which would mean it was not fertilized or never started. If dark and it just sinks to the "bottom" of the egg depending on which way you are candling it then most likely a quitter. I think I may have a pic from my last hatch of a quitter around that time. Let me see if I still have it.

A bunch of the quitter around day 8, and 1 good one around day 9. You can see there are no veins at the top part, the rest floated around as I loved the egg, for the quitter. Normally I see a dark circle not a clear chick but I think that one had just quit and was a light egg so easier to see.

Attachments

• IMG_20230304_184209462.jpg
    IMG_20230304_184209462.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230304_184155117.jpg
    IMG_20230304_184155117.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230304_183625054.jpg
    IMG_20230304_183625054.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230327_184608848.jpg
    IMG_20230327_184608848.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 11
was it a light or dark blob? If light most likely the yolk which would mean it was not fertilized or never started. If dark and it just sinks to the "bottom" of the egg depending on which way you are candling it then most likely a quitter. I think I may have a pic from my last hatch of a quitter around that time. Let me see if I still have it.
These were blue/green eggs, everything was very dark and obscure. All I could see was that the air cell was not "anchored," but that no matter how I turned the egg, the air cell would float to the top, which is why we called them floaters. The air cell was light, we could see light through the shell, snd the rest of the egg was just darkness.

A bunch of the quitter around day 8, and 1 good one around day 9. You can see there are no veins at the top part, the rest floated around as I loved the egg, for the quitter. Normally I see a dark circle not a clear chick but I think that one had just quit and was a light egg so easier to see.
Great pics! We could not see anything like this in our eggs. Just light and dark.

These were blue/green eggs, everything was very dark and obscure. All I could see was that the air cell was not "anchored," but that no matter how I turned the egg, the air cell would float to the top, which is why we called them floaters. The air cell was light, we could see light through the shell, snd the rest of the egg was just darkness.
If the air cell was floating around it sounds like it was completely detached. I have had that with a couple of shipped eggs and those I haven't had any luck with them developing at all. If it slides along the side of the egg a bit then it isn't completely detached and can end up saddled but I have had luck with those.

Back
Top Bottom