Candling brown eggs after 7 days

NicholeT

Chirping
Mar 27, 2023
Rubicon, WI
I tried candling my eggs after the first 7 days tonight and I feel a little lost (and frustrated).

I incubated 22 eggs because, well they all fit, and I was concerned about viability and hatch rate with the Nurture right 360. I started candling the eggs and it totally feels like a juggling act. Between taking the cover off (reducing the temp and humidity) on ALL the eggs, pulling one out and trying to test it (jostling it all around from its warm happy place) with the candling light on the lid, I feel like it was impossible. The candling light lights up the whole lid (and some of the room) so its really hard to get a good glow on the egg to see what's going on in there. I tried a small flashlight but that didn't work- at all. To add insult to injury, they're brown eggs so they are darker- and I feel like all I can see are the rock stars who are active and obvious. I am shocked at how hard it is to determine if its a winner, quitter or yolker :-(

I'm really worried about pitching a 'good egg' because I'm new at this and inexperienced. I read somewhere that I should wait and candle them in a couple more days if I'm not sure.

At what point does the dead or non-viable egg go bad and contaminate the rest of the incubator???

How do yawl handle the candling process with a full incubator? (all those eggs, piles of good, bad and questionable all within the 8 minutes or less that the incubator should be open)

Any experience with brown or dark eggs and making the call?

Signed
- I'm new and clearly suck at this- why didn't I buy chicks again?

I actually remove about half the eggs at once when I candle, and put them point down in a carton, then close the incubator. That way I am only opening it to get the first group, switch out to the second group, and then to put the second group back. I bought a separate magicfly candler on amazon for about $10. But if you are using the one on the 360, I would suggest making a thick cardboard lip around the bottom to help with any light leakage.

Honestly, with this hatch, I have a few super dark speckled eggs that I couldn’t see anything in until about day 14 when the shadow was big enough that I could see it move. So I never pull a dark egg until after hatch is over or if it starts to stink.

I actually remove about half the eggs at once when I candle, and put them point down in a carton, then close the incubator. That way I am only opening it to get the first group, switch out to the second group, and then to put the second group back. I bought a separate magicfly candler on amazon for about $10. But if you are using the one on the 360, I would suggest making a thick cardboard lip around the bottom to help with any light leakage.

Honestly, with this hatch, I have a few super dark speckled eggs that I couldn’t see anything in until about day 14 when the shadow was big enough that I could see it move. So I never pull a dark egg until after hatch is over or if it starts to stink.
I either do this or close the vent (make sure to open it again after!) and just open the incubator enough to side a hand in to sneak out an egg then close it again. It will drop down in temp and humidity but will jump back up fairly quick after you are done. I find having the vent closed while I candle will help with temp and humidity while I am candling at least a bit.

I also got a magicfly candler on amazon (thanks @Iluveggers) but I have used the incubator one. you can try to use your hand to block out some of the light and that will help. Some eggs I am hatching are brown and while not super dark they must have thicker shells since they are hard to see in. day 3-7 was harder to see so i wait. around day 10-14 you will see more of the dark shadow and see it moving around which makes it easier.

You should smell something well before anything explodes. I have left some in there for most of the hatch as a ? and haven't had an issue with any exploding, or smelling actually. Just smell them to be sure they don't stink like a rotten egg, if they don't they are good to go for longer. :)

Lol, I just did a candle on 24 eggs out of the nr360 and I agree it's a juggling act. But I didn't worry to much. Watched my her get off her eggs for drinks and just tried to keep to a time limit of 20mins. I also closed the vent after to get the humidity up again. But where I am even with the vent open all the way i cant get below 51 right now.

I also have issues with candling. Most of my eggs are blue or brown. Is there a recommendation for a candling light for these?

DH and I have only hatched once so we are definitely no pros, but we candled using the flashlight feature on a cell phone. It is incredibly bright and very small and focused, not diffuse enough to light the room at all. Use a credit card or something similar to slide over the light between eggs so you don't blind yourself with the glare. We hatched all blue/green eggs, which IMO are even harder to candle than brown eggs, and this worked pretty well for us, although it definitely took some practice, was not easy, and was nearly impossible until the last week or so of incubation when the air cell was large.

I also have issues with candling. Most of my eggs are blue or brown. Is there a recommendation for a candling light for these?
for inexpensive I recommend the magicfly. I got the rechargeable one. now on really dark like Marans I am not sure how well it will work. But I have used it on normal brown eggs and it works well, and olive eggs. One of my project cochins lays a darker brown egg and guessing her eggs are thicker since I have had some eggs that were a bit darker and easier to see in.... and while it is hard to see in I can get a glimpse of the eye around 4-5 days and normally by day 7-10 can see the darker blob (chick) moving around.

Did mine at 10 to 12 days. I have the magicfly light and it wasn't enough for alot of my blues. Had to turn the egg side ways on the light and get the edge of the air cell to see the veins and movement. Also had to get to a darker area.

I just use my cell phone flashlight. I take about half the eggs at a time, put them in a basket with lots of soft paper towels to cushion, and carry them into the house to candle in a windowless closet.

It is a little bit of a juggle sometimes. Imagine doing it with actual candles!

I just use my cell phone flashlight. I take about half the eggs at a time, put them in a basket with lots of soft paper towels to cushion, and carry them into the house to candle in a windowless closet.

It is a little bit of a juggle sometimes. Imagine doing it with actual candles!
With actual candles......nope but I've seen an old fashioned candling box and used it. They had modified it and had a light bulb in it but it had been used before with the candle. Was a historic farm/ ranch.

Back
Top Bottom