The Pita Pinta Asturiana

I lost one of my babies last week. I put them out in the swing-set sandbox in a wire cage to get some grit and enjoy the sunshine. The top of the cage is a swing open and flexes inward a bit, but you can pull it to set evenly closed, which it was.

I jumped on a conference call which lasted about 25 minutes. I had the door open and heard some birds towards the end, but thought nothing of it.

When I went out to check on them, the top was hanging down a bit inside the cage on one side and one of my babies was dead. It's eye was injured and blood was coming from it's mouth. The others were on one side of the cage acting scared to death. I assume one of those wild birds somehow got a hold of my chick? It was bizarre and I felt horrible that I didn't go out and check on them sooner.

The remaining seven are doing great, thankful for that!
Gosh that is such a crazy story. I am so sorry you lost a chick.

My babies are five weeks now, growing like crazy!

Question- they are getting black spots on their legs, some more than others. Is that normal to the breed?

PP2 5wks.jpg
PP1 5wks.jpg

PP3 5wks.jpg

PP4 5wks.jpg

PP5 5wks.jpg

PP6 5wks.jpg

My babies are five weeks now, growing like crazy!

Question- they are getting black spots on their legs, some more than others. Is that normal to the breed?

View attachment 2708909View attachment 2708908

View attachment 2708910

View attachment 2708912

View attachment 2708913

View attachment 2708915
They look great. It looks like you have pullets!!

They change so much as they grow. I need to post some recent photos of my flock. They have gotten a ton of black feathers the past few weeks.

I have 4 pullets left from the 10 chicks I hatched on March 22. I had kept 2 cockerels also, but my new neighbors that live behind us complained about the crowing. They installed a pool and have bright lights and music going many weekend nights, which disturbs the peace and so the cockerels were simply reacting to the environment.
I did not want to have issues with them so I decided to find them another home. I am sad about that, but I really like these girls.

3A3D7F10-92E4-42E9-93F5-22DFD2A54660.jpeg

F1766AE5-F37A-4396-AB80-0FAC78F2FEE6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom