The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Fred's Hens, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desertmarcy

desertmarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Tucson
    I don't think it is the feed. Rhode Island Reds, Orloffs, and Buff Rocks on same diet have good fertility. In fact, fertility on the Buff Rocks (2 pullets in with one cockerel) is almost 100%. The organic is integral to my program, yes, of not feeding GMOs and not supporting Monsanto...

2. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Desertmarcy, try another round of eggs, but I hear from many places this line has an issue with fertility and hatchability. You might need to use a male from another line if all else fails

3. desertmarcy

desertmarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Tucson
    That is what I am leaning towards. I have a judge friend, Gene Helton, on the lookout for a male for me. I did not have this issue last year, but I lost the male I was using last year and so now am breeding even tighter.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

OK, that's good information. If your other Rocks are doing fine, then I agree. Not very likely you're gonna see an improvement even if feed, and yes, I assumed a change to another organic feed, would produce the results you're looking for.

Further, I dislike appearing to dis a line in public, but I'll just say that Scott's statement has support in many quarters. PM me if you want my more frank point of view and experience. [​IMG]

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Put that boy over some other females, spare females, scrubs, just any females. Seriously. After two weeks, start cracking the eggs and looking for fertility and/or bake a few in the incubator and see if there is evidence of viability at day 7.

If you find fertility? You'd know it' s the compatibility of the hens to that cockerel. Just another step in investigating this matter.

6. newbiechick1

newbiechick1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    Hello all! My husband and I will be purchasing our first chickens this year. Plans for coop and whatnot are coming along great great but we can not agree on a breed. We have agreed that we want a chicken that does well in hot and cold weather ( we live in wv). We would like large brown eggs and would prefer a breed that lays well and is not broody. I love the buff color... I was looking at the buff orpington breed but am afraid of the broodines and I was told their eggs are not very big. Any suggestions out there would be great! Would the buff rocks make a good first time chicken? Do they lay well? Are they friendly? Thank you all in advance!

7. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

8. Southerlys

Southerlys Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Kirkwood Mo
    Anyone have any started hens near St. Louis for sale? Small backyard newbie here just getting started.

9. Silver Rock

Silver Rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
    Well after talking with someone I look up to and follow in the breeding advice that he shares with me. I have decided to change up my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock breeding pens a little. I will be running three breeding pens this Spring.

Breeding pen #1 will have a Horstman male over Padgett females.
    Breeding pen #2 will have a Padgett male over Horstman females.
    Breeding pen #3 will have a Padgett male over Padgett females.
    All the breeding pens are set up and ready to go. I am already getting plenty of eggs off my 10 month old Horstman pullets and expecting my 5 month old Padgett pullets to start laying in the next couple months. :)

Clayton

10. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I Like that plan! are you looking for more specifics to put in the pens? Like dark pullets with a certain roo? Lighter pullets with another kind of roo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by