The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clayton, I do remember him and his Buff Orpingtons. They were very nice birds as I recall too. Thanks for sharing, it brings back a lot of good memories.

Ripster

Clayton, I do remember him and his Buff Orpingtons.  They were very nice birds as I recall too.  Thanks for sharing, it brings back a lot of good memories.

Ripster

Well Rip it is a small world :). Today my daughter turns 7 years old so my father, mom and brothers will be here at my house. My father will very much enjoy hearing that someone remembers his poultry days of the past. :)

Clayton Grace

Clayton,

It is a small world indeed. Please wish your daughter a happy birthday for me. I doubt your father would remember me I was only a teenager then and my birds were not up to competing with the "big dogs" and that's for sure.

Rip

Clayton,

It is a small world indeed.  Please wish your daughter a happy birthday for me.  I doubt your father would remember me I was only a teenager then and my birds were not up to competing with the "big dogs" and that's for sure.

Rip

Thank you very much Rip for the Birthday wishes to my daughter. I will also pass the information to my father as this will definitely make his day as he loves reflecting on days gone by growing up in Alturas, FL "Lake Garfield area". :)

Clayton Grace

Quote:
That is a handful! WOW.... I would pull my hair out! Mine are 22.5 months apart and if you threw TWINS in....
barnie.gif

Culling.

Sometimes, we don't show enough culls, nor explain why.

The male on the left is showing far too much brassiness. We teach culling hard for anything brassy. He'll be chilling in the refrigerator before week's end. Maybe you can see the "Black Band" on his left leg. Yup, that's what that means.

Here's a young cockerel, and by young, I mean 9 months. He's in a layer pen to protect him and to allow him to grow up. Unfortunately, I'm so disappointed in his tail. Otherwise, he's got it going on. Such a shame to likely have to cull an otherwise great looking young bird. But, as BR breeders, we've got to bite the bullet and work harder on these tails. Across the variety, the tails simply aren't up to par.

Where to begin? There is almost nothing we want here. The skirts in this male are showing up in this flock's females and it was past time to nip it. Typical poor, stringy tail. The back line is "humped". No no.
But the wing is the last straw. That is a poor wing set and this fellow must never pass these poor traits on. He too will make a dandy meat bird. These big Rocks dress at around 6.5 lbs. A nice table bird.

Hi Vickie, I agree with you 100%. Having someone to share this poultry hobby with makes it so much nicer & enjoyable. Me and my brother have been crazy about chickens longer than we can remember as our father raised chickens long before me and my brother were even born. Below are a few pictures of the Poultry Show Ribbons that my father and his brother got in the early 70's down in Florida.
smile.png

Hi Vickie, I agree with you 100%. Having someone to share this poultry hobby with makes it so much nicer & enjoyable. Me and my brother have been crazy about chickens longer than we can remember as our father raised chickens long before me and my brother were even born. Below are a few pictures of the Poultry Show Ribbons that my father and his brother got in the early 70's down in Florida.
smile.png

That is just AWESOME! That is great that you and your brother share the same love. It really will be lots of fun for you two!

Culling.

Sometimes, we don't show enough culls, nor explain why.

The male on the left is showing far too much brassiness. We teach culling hard for anything brassy. He'll be chilling in the refrigerator before week's end. Maybe you can see the "Black Band" on his left leg. Yup, that's what that means.

Here's a young cockerel, and by young, I mean 9 months. He's in a layer pen to protect him and to allow him to grow up. Unfortunately, I'm so disappointed in his tail. Otherwise, he's got it going on. Such a shame to likely have to cull an otherwise great looking young bird. But, as BR breeders, we've got to bite the bullet and work harder on these tails. Across the variety, the tails simply aren't up to par.

Where to begin? There is almost nothing we want here. The skirts in this male are showing up in this flock's females and it was past time to nip it. Typical poor, stringy tail. The back line is "humped". No no.
But the wing is the last straw. That is a poor wing set and this fellow must never pass these poor traits on. He too will make a dandy meat bird. These big Rocks dress at around 6.5 lbs. A nice table bird.

This is very helpful for a beginner in the breed. To not only see the good traits but the bad ones as well. Other than the brassiness, is the chest development and width of legs correct in this male?

This is very helpful for a beginner in the breed. To not only see the good traits but the bad ones as well. Other than the brassiness, is the chest development and width of legs correct in this male?

I showed three different males to cull. The first one, on the left, culled for brassiness. The main thing is that it simply doesn't matter if he had a nice breast or not. His is only fair. The leg set is average, nothing special.

But, brass is nasty and when you've got good males? Why in world would you not just eat the brassy ones? Same with poor tails, or lack of breast, or humped backs or poor wing sets. If you've got 14 males to choose among? And two are right, you're good. The rest make wonderful table birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom