The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

It has been a long time since I posted on here though I have been reading the posts regularly. I got some Partridge Plymouth Rock chicks from Dick Horstman for my friend's daughter. This last weekend they were 11 weeks old so we did our first "evaluation". We had no one to help us so we got out the APA book and used the description and the illustrations to guide us. I can see what you judges mean by you can't tell that much by a photo. What a difference it makes to put your hands on their frames and really feel their structure. There were six cockerels and my friend wanted to cull down to two but we kept three. The cockerels we culled were for the the deficiencies of narrow in the back towards the tail, too high tail set (supposed to be 30 degrees and these were more 50ish), too high a keel/puny chest. None of the cockerels had any cushion. I must say compared to what you get at the feed stores - these "culls" were very high quality and huge! I will do the pullets in a separate post.

COCKEREL #1

This one had a good chest although the pictures don't show it all that well. He was our first "victim" to photograph so we weren't used to handling the birds yet. His chest had a lower keel that filled your hand. His back frame was rectangular and did not narrow towards the tail. He had a flat back. His tail angle was at about 30 degrees. Five points to the comb.

Here is a picture of him from the front:

Cockerel #2

This was my favorite. He had a very broad frame throughout his back. Flat back. Very nice chest that filled your hand. 30 degree tail angle. Five point comb. Most of all, I loved his BALANCE.

Front end:

His very broad back:

Cockerel #3

This one had an exceptional chest. The side photo is deceiving but you really see it in the front view photo. He was smaller than the other cockerels - but - that chest! He had a nicely framed back though not as nice as #2. Flat back. Correct tail angle of 30 degrees. Five point comb.

...and that chest!

We are just starting out so we would certainly appreciate all of your critiques. My friends have been long time toy poodle breeders so we are pick, pick, pick animals apart. These birds will be her daughters project so she wants to learn, learn, learn to breed correctly. She eventually wants to be a veterinarian.

Vickie Schafer

We have 5 pullets, and one of them is a barred rock. Ever since we got her 5 weeks ago, she makes a unique, two-tone 'beep' sound almost all the time. Very different from our golden comets, which make more 'regular' chicken clucking and squawking sounds. She is about 2.5 months old now.

Is this unique vocalization common amongst barred Plymouth rock chickens? Just curious....

We only had five pullets. They were all very, very nice. There was only one out of the five we put in the layer flock as she had the beginnings of a cushion; her frame narrowed towards her tail; and she had a poor disposition. The other four ALL had flat backs and a solid back frame all the way back to the tail - lots of room inside! They all had good chests and yellow legs, though not as yellow as the cockerels.

Pullet #1

Her tail was pecked off by the others so that is why it is missing. She has healed now but is smaller as a result of her recovery. She had a very nice wide, flat back and good chest.

Pullet #2

This one had a good, flat back and chest.

Pullet #3

This one was our favorite. She was calm and quickly learned to "stack" herself. Alyssa plans on using her for showmanship. She has an excellent flat back and chest.

Pullet #4

This one was fairly calm but she was a bit tense on the table so she looks awkward. She had a good flat back and chest, nice bright legs.

Again, feel free to critique, give suggestions, whatever you want to add. We are here to learn.

Vickie Schafer

Hi All,

It has been a long time since I posted on here though I have been reading the posts regularly. I got some Partridge Plymouth Rock chicks from Dick Horstman for my friend's daughter. This last weekend they were 11 weeks old so we did our first "evaluation". We had no one to help us so we got out the APA book and used the description and the illustrations to guide us. I can see what you judges mean by you can't tell that much by a photo. What a difference it makes to put your hands on their frames and really feel their structure. There were six cockerels and my friend wanted to cull down to two but we kept three. The cockerels we culled were for the the deficiencies of narrow in the back towards the tail, too high tail set (supposed to be 30 degrees and these were more 50ish), too high a keel/puny chest. None of the cockerels had any cushion. I must say compared to what you get at the feed stores - these "culls" were very high quality and huge! I will do the pullets in a separate post.

COCKEREL #1

This one had a good chest although the pictures don't show it all that well. He was our first "victim" to photograph so we weren't used to handling the birds yet. His chest had a lower keel that filled your hand. His back frame was rectangular and did not narrow towards the tail. He had a flat back. His tail angle was at about 30 degrees. Five points to the comb.

Here is a picture of him from the front:

Cockerel #2

This was my favorite. He had a very broad frame throughout his back. Flat back. Very nice chest that filled your hand. 30 degree tail angle. Five point comb. Most of all, I loved his BALANCE.

Front end:

His very broad back:

Cockerel #3

This one had an exceptional chest. The side photo is deceiving but you really see it in the front view photo. He was smaller than the other cockerels - but - that chest! He had a nicely framed back though not as nice as #2. Flat back. Correct tail angle of 30 degrees. Five point comb.

...and that chest!

We are just starting out so we would certainly appreciate all of your critiques. My friends have been long time toy poodle breeders so we are pick, pick, pick animals apart. These birds will be her daughters project so she wants to learn, learn, learn to breed correctly. She eventually wants to be a veterinarian.

Vickie Schafer
Vickie

Looks like you are off to a good start. Birds look healthy, great leg color, well feathered to be so young. 11 weeks old is a tough time to really do much other than cull for defects, but a few things I see that you might watch for;

K #1 - legs appear to be set too far back, off balance if you will. More bird in front of the legs, than behind it.

In general, chests on Rocks are the last to develop and these guys are still young. As the chest fills out the tail angle will increase, so is its 30deg now, it will likely be higher when the bird is finished. Also, its hard to see in the pictures, but I always look for width of legs (distance between them)....make sure you get a bird that has a good wide stance. Watch heads, again its hard to judge from pictures, but a few seem to have smaller heads ... I like 'em with BIG HEADS (both width of skull and distance from top of skull to waddles)

I see no "defects" jumping out at me....just some general observations based on what I look for in my Rocks

NICE JOB

We only had five pullets. They were all very, very nice. There was only one out of the five we put in the layer flock as she had the beginnings of a cushion; her frame narrowed towards her tail; and she had a poor disposition. The other four ALL had flat backs and a solid back frame all the way back to the tail - lots of room inside! They all had good chests and yellow legs, though not as yellow as the cockerels.

Pullet #1

Her tail was pecked off by the others so that is why it is missing. She has healed now but is smaller as a result of her recovery. She had a very nice wide, flat back and good chest.

Pullet #2

This one had a good, flat back and chest.

Pullet #3

This one was our favorite. She was calm and quickly learned to "stack" herself. Alyssa plans on using her for showmanship. She has an excellent flat back and chest.

Pullet #4

This one was fairly calm but she was a bit tense on the table so she looks awkward. She had a good flat back and chest, nice bright legs.

Again, feel free to critique, give suggestions, whatever you want to add. We are here to learn.

Vickie Schafer
Vickie

Similar comments here especially on heads. Watch that they aren't too small

I would watch pullet #1 for a little while longer, but I see the beginnings of a serious cushion in her....if it is, don't breed from her. That's a tough trait to get out and keep out of Rocks

Also, watch the tails on the Ps. Could be the way that they are being held for pix, but you only want a 20deg tail on them and some look to be that and slightly more already. By 18 weeks or so, you'll have a very good idea of the tail angle (not finished angle, but at least is it going to be too high)

Partridge Rocks are very pretty....and I have NO idea what to tell you about color and pattern, but if they came from Dick they should be pretty darn good

YFoR, I got some of the reusable leg bands you mentioned a while back. EZ clip lock bands from twin city. I ordered size 11, which works well for the hens, but the cocks legs are just a bit too big. What size do you use and what size should I look for? BTW, size 11 is the largest twin city supplies offers.

Thanks,

YFoR, I got some of the reusable leg bands you mentioned a while back. EZ clip lock bands from twin city. I ordered size 11, which works well for the hens, but the cocks legs are just a bit too big. What size do you use and what size should I look for? BTW, size 11 is the largest twin city supplies offers.

Thanks,
I use the size 11's and yes they do get a tad tight. They normally last me until I've made my final selection of males at which time I normally band them with a colored zip tie (bright color)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom